Switchin sides on my Winchester Defender!

Onslaught

I posted this on "Shotguns" a couple of days ago, and got no technical responses to my question... maybe you folks can help?

I am a leftie. I own a Winchester Defender. I am not comfortable with the safety being activated from the left side. I want to switch it to be DE-activated from the left side. I understand this can be done on a Remington. Can it be done on my Winchester?

If not, I may sell it and buy a Mossburg 500 Pursuader, because of the safety position.

Thanks for your time, and experience.

Onslaught, I've never tried this on a Winchester but just looking at an exploded view I would think that you could just reverse the switch. If not you might contact Winchester and see if they sell a lefty safety for it. George

Great... Thanks George!

amended -

Just to put the subject officially to rest... I have just determined that you canNOT switch the safety on a Winchester Defender :) Got lucky and got all the parts back in too :D

One end of the hammer spring extends into the hole where the safety button goes to hold it into place. The Safety has a small cut-out for that spring on the proper side. Now, someone could MAKE a leftie safety, but I kinda doubt it.

Oh well... now I'll just have to ponder learning to live with it, or selling it for a Mossberg. 1.5" longer barrel, 1 more round.

Thanks again George!

[This message has been edited by Onslaught (edited November 02, 2000).]

The Ithaca and Remington are reversible I believe. Remington also has a lefty version that Ithaca doesn't need (bottom ejection).

Back