switch out 4in Ruger Security Six barrel for a 2 or 3 in Barrel.

swissfist

Hello all, new to the forum and I have a question for anyone who might know or have an informed opinion. Would it be a good or bad idea to swap out the 4in. barrel for a 3in. one? I really like my Security six but its kinda bulky for ccw and i've checked out several "pocket" 9mm and 7.65 and I would feel more comfortable with my Ruger at my side. Is it worth it or should start saving for a GP-100? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Swissfist.

As long as the barrel is an original from ..

Ruger, you should be ok, but keep the tight the barrel / cylinder gap.

For the price you would pay to find a new barrel then pay a gunsmith to change it, you'd be getting up pretty close to the price of a good used Security Six. If you can't afford to have 2 pistols, then you'd be better off to sell the 4" and buy the 2".

Oh and from a concealablility standpoint, the Security Six (even in 2") is not something I would say is easily concealed. I sometimes carry a 2" Security Six on my belt when I'm in the woods. It is not a small gun - and it is very heavy.

While the Security Six is a great handgun, when it comes to concealability there are much better options.

I know of no Ruger Security Six 2 or 3 inch barrel.
Their shortest was 2.75".

Barrel changes are unpredictable; they can go right on or they can involve a lot of work and expense.

I would look for a Speed Six if I wanted a Ruger carry gun, or an SP101.
Even at 3 inches the GP100 is a big heavy gun and no improvement in portability versus your 4 inch Security Six.

Is that inch really going to help you that much, though? You'll be spending money to reduce the revolver's power as well as increase muzzle blast, for what in my opinion amounts to a rather trivial change in weapon size/weight.

There's evidence that you'd be losing 150-200+FPS from shortening the barrel by an inch at that length.

125 grain @ 1250-1300fps from a .357 isn't much more punch than a 9x19 124 grain @ 1200fps, and that's not even considered a +P or +P+ load.

Even at 3 inches the GP100 is a big heavy gun and no improvement in portability versus your 4 inch Security Six.

The -Six series guns are positively svelte next to the GP100. They take the same speed loader that the Colt Trooper does, but the frame height and length of the crane is shorter yet. The GP100 is a larger, heavier gun, and does not have the same feel that the -Sixes do..... A 3" GP100 would not be an improvement over a 4" -Six gun in terms of concealability ...... in fact, the 3" GP (36 oz.) weighs 2 1/2 ounces more than the 4" Security Six (33.5oz.) ......

IIRC, that gun has a lock at the front of the extractor rod like an S&W. That makes swapping barrels even more complex since you don't have a lot of options if the barrel doesn't clock up right the first time.

Actually, barrel length is not usually much of a concern in a carry gun, since the barrel is usually pointed down and out of the way. Butt shape and general thickness are more of a "printing" problem than barrel length.

Jim

Actually, barrel length is not usually much of a concern in a carry gun,

Longer barrels are slower and more awkward to to draw from an IWB holster than shorter barrels...... Getting the gun into action as quickly as possible certainly is a concern.

Everyone, thanks for the comments and opinions, especially jimbob86. I'm not going to mess with my Ruger as what I was remotely considering I concluded amounted to vandalism. Again, thanks for the advices and I'll continue test out my options til I find what fits, learning as I go. Keep yer powder dry, SF.

I'm not going to mess with my Ruger
That's usually the best decision

Unless one simply wants something unique, it makes little sense to modify a working firearm just to get something you could go out and buy

Back