Swiss products mount

Surp

So I finally got to take my K31 with clamp on mount and vortex diamondback 4-12x40. The problem is to even get the thing on paper I had to crank my scope all the way to the left and it's still shooting around 5" to the right.

I even have this setup with the Millett ANGLE-LOC rings that I lapped and adjusted to sit as far over the bore as possible. Yet can't get this thing where it needs to be.

Any ideas?

Here she is and I really hope I get this worked out because after all I have heard about the legendary K31 and all the time I spent lusting over it before just actually buying one today was a frustrating let down and my old Mosin ate it's lunch.
CAM00193_zps14f9b8b6.jpg

personal experience with millet is that their rings are hot garbage, do you have a pair of back up rings you could use? also, is the rail tight or is something keeping it from being locked down all the way?

I don't have any spare rings at the moment. The only reason I went with the Millets was because they fit a .22 style rail and where ajustable.

I did install a small shield to keep the casings from beating my scope to death like they did on the first few shots. I was thinking it MIGHT be stopping the mount from clamping down SLIGHTLY but I didn't think it would affect point of impact that much if it was. especially with everything being adjusted more towards the bore.

I guess I will have to think of a new way to protect my scope and try this setup without the shield.

On a side note I did the mirror trick to make sure the scope adjustments were working right.

Last edited:
Do not attempt to move that scope over the bore. It's designed with that .675 offset for a reason, that being........ so it doesn't destroy that rather expensive Swiss brass. Keep the scope right over the rail with no ring windage.

That 5/8" offset is going to make no difference at all at range. If you feel you need to eliminate that offset, zero in at 200 yards. The +&- offset will not be noticeable at all, but all of us here at Swiss Products leave that minor offset alone, just as designated marksmen always did with the M1 Garand D. That offset was a full 3/4", but the snipers never complained. They knew what the offset was and corrected for it at very close range. At longer ranges it wasn't detectable. The offset is the same at 100 yards as it is at 500 or 1,000.

The k31 is fully capable of hitting a 24" x 24" target at 1,000 yards. If you can truly account for or even see that .675 offset beyond 200 yards....... you're a far better shot than I am, Gunga Dihn! :D

PS: If you need a deflector, I'll post an image of our own design. We never put it into production because the demand ended up being very low. Standby.

Last edited:

The deflector fits between the rings. It can be made of 10 mil Mylar, or thin sheet metal.

You shouldn't need it unless you're using scope wider than the standard 1".
It stands to reason if you can use a charger to load the magazine, then ejection should be no problem.

unless you are using a very cheap scope, the finish alone should be tougher than the brass hitting it, if it's dinging or denting your scope, it probably can't handle the recoil of a 7.5 anyway. you'll be fine, your scope may have little brass streaks where they are striking but you shouldn't have any actual damage to your scope. and now that I've seen how the mount actually looks from both sides I'm thinking that the attempt to move the rings over the bore(to the left) may be why you are now hitting far left. start with a new set of rings(preferably not millet rings) and try without modifying.

If you follow my instructions you're going to be shooting moa or near with GP11 or proven handloads. If you're capable, that is. The rifle certainly is.
Good shooting!

barnbwt this is an army surplus rifle... I didn't buy it to pussyfoot around it and pick casings out of the action one by one I bought it to use as it was meant to be.

tahunua001 I will post pics latter. It most definitely was messing up the casings and scope pretty bad before the shield was installed.

zfk55 Thanks for the help I will try to work with the mount some more to get these issues worked out. You guys seem to make some pretty quality products and I see a bi-pod adapter and maybe a few other Swiss products in my future.

I used the Swiss Products mount on my son's- but it was the d&t mount (and wow- the Swiss did some serious case-hardening on their receivers :eek:).

I can't recall who manufactured them- but I bought a pair of dovetail-to-weaver adpaters to allow the use of quality rings.

Suggest you start there to isolate the issue.

so you're planning on going on a shooting spree?

I thought someone would respond with something stupid like that :rolleyes: but I do find it interesting that in your mind this rifle was meant to be used for shooting sprees.

Even though I was referring to the way the rifle was intended to function and not it's intended purpose if I did have to take a stab at what this fine firearm was made to be used for I would say protection (which the Swiss used it for very successfully) not shooting sprees or even killing necessarily.

Tobnpr, is that weaver rail on the D/T Mount actually allowing brass to eject cleanly??

It's not a continuous rail, they're two small, roughly one-inch long sections that don't extend past the inside of your rail mount. It's the monster windage turret on the Bushnell Tactical it's wearing that bumps the brass- the rings aren't an issue (the rail adapters end up being about as wide as the dovetail offsets, and don't protrude past the edge of your rail).

I thought someone would respond with something stupid like that but I do find it interesting that in your mind this rifle was meant to be used for shooting sprees.
stupid is, is stupid does.
and not shooting sprees per say, but there is no denying that they were designed for killing people, preferably more than once in a service life and since swiss were neutral, it's safe to say it hasn't done what it was designed to do yet.

I see them as something that was built by a neutral country as a deterrent/means of protection. So in my mind they did exactly what they were made to do.

barnbwt this is an army surplus rifle... I didn't buy it to pussyfoot around it and pick casings out of the action one by one I bought it to use as it was meant to be.

Ah, so you like catching cases down your back; gotcha ;)

TCB

Back