Swiss k31

JDZUKI

Inactive
Hello everyone, my first post so please be gentle, I purchased a Swiss K31 manufactured in 1937,excellent condition, have gone through about 200 rounds so far using the iron sight and for the life of me I'm having trouble shooting accurately after 25 yards, I'm normally a pretty good shot but I'm concerned that I have a bent barrel or something else, I put in a laser bore sight and the dot appears to be right on at 30 yards, I know these guns are more accurate at 100 meters plus but I don't think it will hit the broad side if a barn at 50 yards! I purchased the rifle from a reputable firearms dealer in my area where I buy my ammo, any suggestions would've greatly appreciated , thank you to all in advance.

Hi. There are a host of reasons a rifle doesn't shoot well, starting with the ammo. You shooting off a solid rest? Makes a huge difference.
Where's the dot go at 100? What ammo?
A bent barrel is highly unlikely. The thing would shoot poorly at 25 too if it were.

K31

Yeah, thanks for the reply T. O, I've been shooting the same 7.5 X 55 GP 11 non corrosive match grade ammo from a standing position, I agree with you the next step would be to shoot from a bench on some sandbags , I'll give a try n let u know TY again Jay D

A bent barrel is highly unlikely. The thing would shoot poorly at 25 too if it were.
Yessir.
I've had a rifle with a genuine bend in the barrel and it shot inches wide at 25 yards.
Not that many people are all that accurate in the standing position, and rarely enough to actually test the accuracy of a rifle.
A good way to check the barrel is remove the bolt and aim down the actual barrel at the target from a secure rest.
Then see where the bullets go for a truer comparison.

Nothing personal, but you're probably just a bad shot when standing on two legs, like most of us. Try some benchrest using bags, and take care to breathe and squeeze properly. See what happens.

from a standing position

If you were a National Champion, standing, than maybe we could say the rifle had issues. But standing is the absolute most difficult position to shoot well, takes years if not decades of practice to group most of your shots within four inches at 100 yards. Till then, expect to miss a six foot by six foot target frame at 100 yards with great regularity.

Shoot off the bench. Tighten the action screws snug. This rifle is way different in its bedding than a Mauser action and the action "slides" under recoil so the screws need to be snug but not rock hard tight.

Standing is exceedingly difficult. There was a time when I practiced and shot good standing scores, shot a number of 99's but never a 100 or 200. This is a particularly good target for me, shot in competition standing with my M1a.

This is a shooting buddies' target. Bud was shooting in NRA XTC reduced match, standing, 100 yards with an iron sighted AR15. This is a 99-7X .

My Bud is an exceptional shot, has a couple of President's 100 patches, is a Distinguished Rifleman, a High Master XTC shot. On an average day, he is a better shot than I, regardless these are the sorts of 100 standing targets that you take pictures of, and claim you shoot all the time. But, of course, you hardly do.

I did do this at 100 yards in a reduced course XTC match, during a Vintage Rifle match. This is actually not bad for me and my K31.

These are practice targets, five shot groups, fired prone without a sling at 100 yards. While no K31 should be expected to shoot small groups like this all the time, your rifle should be able to hold 2 to 4 inches at 100 yards off the bench.

Last edited:
Big picture is minimize the variations.

Off a bag, front and rear, action screws tight.

I have not looked at one close, how good is the sight vs what you are used to?

It is a military gun, often the internet legend does not in fact prove to be true.

Check the chamber for COAL. It could be shot out.

I think 3 inches at 100 was acceptable. I can about do that with my Model of 1917 at 100 on a good day (my eyes are not so good no more)

Handloads can tighten up things, reportedly not the K31 but I am a skeptic (and I like the gun and plan on a Savage build in that caliber)

I don't plan on a K31 buy as my eyes are barely good enough for a peep.

The k31's I read about, and the one I own DO live up to their reputation for accuracy. Also, I have not read of any with significant defects in the crown or bore.
Mine shoots tiny groups at 100yds, and hitting a clay pigeon at that range standing, offhand...is a simple exercise of applying the fundimentals.
The k31 is also one of the easiest milsurps to mount a scope on. A St Marie clamp on scope base does a fine job of scoping these rifles.

I have to take issue with the earlier post by Slamfire that standing is so hard that missing a 6" x6" target frame is to be expected. I consider that nonsense.
Before I ever fired a high powered rifle, I shot a lot of informal air rifle, learning the fundimentals of sight picture, breathing control, and trigger pull, as preached by WWII vet dad.
When I shot a high powered rifle for the first time, in the Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry, I was pleased to discover that those fundimentals were exactly the same, and I shot good score.
Anyone who has a grasp of those fundimentals should be able to shoot a pie plate sized group easily at 100yds. With a k31, better than that.

Back