Swiss K31 marking on stock

foggy

I just picked this K31 up locally. It was a good price for any K31 but the wood was what really caught my eye. There is some type of marking on the stock that corresponds to the tag under the buttplate. Has anyone seen something similar or have an idea what the marking means?

I include a picture of the tag and the marking in the last picture.

The tag under the butt plate has the name, address and unit of the person the rifle was issued to. It appears that person added a decal to the butt stock promoting his business.

Nice tiger striping on the wood.

The tag is always a cool find. That is the date of birth, name and address of the soldier it was issued to. Sometime later he added the decal. Have never seen one with that great looking tiger stripe, a really cool find. Shot that rifle, you will be impressed!

BEAUTIFUL stock...You may have some luck tracking down the original owner or his descendants, having a business name to search has to be easier than for a private individual, and the company may still be extant.

I thought about doing that but I can't really make out the address. Echallens appears to be a small town in the canton of Vaud. If anyone wants to take a stab at transcribing it I would appreciate it.

As near as I can tell (and probably not correct):

Fredy Bolomey
Cf. Fur. III
Echallens

An interesting note: the grandson of the former owner of this rifle found this thread and contacted me (by email, in French!). He found the thread by searching the family name. Apparently the owner would have liked to keep the rifle but at the time is was too expensive.

Ok. So, I've always wanted to buy a K31 and this thread has made me think that my credit card could take another hit.

This is the coolest story I've ever heard.

Back