SWFA Super Sniper 10x at closer ranges (50 yards)

divil

I want a decent scope (to replace a piece of junk Tasco) and I would like to have something versatile that I can use for fairly long ranges. It's just for target shooting. Fixed power doesn't bother me, and in fact I'd rather put my money into quality than features. I've heard great things about this scope, but here's the thing - right now the longest range I have access to is 100 yards. I also often shoot at 50 yards. Does anyone know if this scope will be any good at 50 yards? I'm thinking in terms of focus/parallax. The manufacturer says it will focus down to "10" (presumably either yards or metres) but I've heard some people say it doesn't focus very well at 50 and below. Would the 6x be any better in that regard? While longer range ability is nice-to-have for me, I can't sacrifice closer range use, due to availability of shooting locations. Thanks!

What kinds of targets are you going for?
If you are going for pure accuracy, it should be good.
If you want to transition between (moving) targets, 10x at 50m isn't so friendly.

How much are you willing to spend?

I don't have an exact number, but the price of that scope is probably about right (300)

What kinds of targets are you going for?
If you are going for pure accuracy, it should be good.
If you want to transition between (moving) targets, 10x at 50m isn't so friendly.

Just plain old paper targets. No need for fast acquisition.

10X

I don't have a SWFA 10x, but I do have a Bushnell Elite 10X.

At 50 yds, things were pretty blurry. You could hit a deer, groundhog, pie plate, but precision, as in consistent size groups or dime size targets would be difficult. Targets came into clear focus at about 70 yds or so. The Bushnell was likely parallex set/fixed at 100, as are most scopes intenede for centerfire use.

The rifle was a heavy barrel .22 used for long range practice, 100 yds plus. As such, I could live with it. But it was near useless at closer ranges as described, and limited the overall usefulness of the rifle. The rifle has since gotten a side focus scope, and is much more useful over a broader range of distances.

I don't have a SWFA 10x, but I do have a Bushnell Elite 10X.

At 50 yds, things were pretty blurry. You could hit a deer, groundhog, pie plate, but precision, as in consistent size groups or dime size targets would be difficult. Targets came into clear focus at about 70 yds or so. The Bushnell was likely parallex set/fixed at 100, as are most scopes intenede for centerfire use.

The rifle was a heavy barrel .22 used for long range practice, 100 yds plus. As such, I could live with it. But it was near useless at closer ranges as described, and limited the overall usefulness of the rifle. The rifle has since gotten a side focus scope, and is much more useful over a broader range of distances.

Thanks, that's interesting to know. The SWFA does have a focus/parallax adjustment that they claim goes right down to 10,

Even if it does focus at 50, target acquisition/re-acquisition after shooting is going to take longer between shots since you can't dial it down for a larger field of view. If you don't mind dealing with that, they're a nice optic for the $.

I have two 10x SWFA SS scopes both of mine focus fine, are very clear at 50 yards.
I don't know what the field of view is at 50 yards but I would have no trouble tracking a moving coyote.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

For 50 to 100 yards, a lower powered scope could be better.
I use a 4x for that without complaint.
Ironically, it's a Tasco with an adjustable objective.
Plenty good enough.
But it's kind of old, maybe 20 years or so.
Maybe that makes the difference.
"They just don't make 'em like they used to."

What kind of "target shooting?"

Hunkered down over a bench with sandbags?
Prone with a sling?
Offhand or standing?

Shooting at bullseyes, metallic silhouettes, orange spots, scribbles on paper plates?

The steadier the position, the smaller the target, the more magnification you can use.
Experienced BR50 shooters commonly use the 36X Weaver with parallax adjustment, but 20-24X is about all I want for occasional use. Likewise for short range practice for F T/R off a bipod.

I would give the SWFA at whatever fixed power a try and if it did not focus clearly and parallax free, send it back.

For the price range, The Weaver 3-10x40 Tactical grand slam (when it is on sale for 299) is probably a better option for shooting at 50 yards.

Jimro

I have two 10x SWFA SS scopes both of mine focus fine, are very clear at 50 yards.
I don't know what the field of view is at 50 yards but I would have no trouble tracking a moving coyote.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Cool thanks! The field of view is even less important for me as my targets won't be moving :)

For 50 to 100 yards, a lower powered scope could be better.
I use a 4x for that without complaint.
Ironically, it's a Tasco with an adjustable objective.
Plenty good enough.
But it's kind of old, maybe 20 years or so.
Maybe that makes the difference.
"They just don't make 'em like they used to."

Do you think lower is better because of field-of-view issues etc.? My scope is a 3-9, and the problem is, it looks ok at 3 or 4x (reasonably clear) but I'd like to be able to aim more precisely. 9 or 10x would be great, but with this scope, at anything over 4x, it's terrible - I can't get the target and reticle both in focus.

I've used 2 SWFA's in the past and highly recommend them. Now I use a leupold 10x. I've shot at 50 for zeroing, snap shooting drills etc. Never had an issue with clarity with the paralax adjust.

If your'e that worried you could always pick up their 6x scope which is what I stick on my hunting rifles.

Lower powered scopes, especially in the lower priced class, just seem easier to use.
Less target wobble, more depth of field, usually clearer vision, and such.
If a lower power will do, why complicate things.
Having an adjustable objective lens is good.
More better to have adjustments at both ends, one for you and one for the target.

Last edited:
"...At 50 yds, things were pretty blurry..." Ditto with a 10X Bushnell I had years ago. Nothing worse than being charged by a rampaging ground hog and not being able to see him. snicker.
Fixed high magnification optics aren't great for anything but maybe fixed distance shooting. Way too high for 50 yards anyway.
"...piece of junk Tasco..." Bushnell's are made by the J.A. Pan Co. these days. And not all Tasco's are junk.
10x42 SWFA SS scopes are 10.5 feet FOV at 100. Probably twice that at 50. You don't have time to focus if you're hunting anything. Like Jim Watson says, the kind of target shooting matters.

Have a few fixed power 12x swfa scopes. They are for target shooting, using bipod or bags. For my purposes, the biggest advantage to them are price, reliability and accurate /repeatable elevation adjustment, adj parallax and fixed power. The glass isn't the best, but hey they only cost $300. Higher powers=more wobble, and if not shooting off solid rests can have less practical accuracy.

Also have fixed 10x bushnell, and think the swfa's are a couple of steps up.

Only took me 3 edits to spell parallax, and I had to cheat

As I write this I have a 10X SWFA SS scope I in front of me>

They are an extremely good value!

Optics are good enough but not equivalent to top of the line Leupold, Weaver, and such.

The rear focus parallax adjustment is very abrupt but handy to use. On my scope I can focus on a red target on a cloudy day and move the parallax adjustment and see the red target change color from red to white then to red. This should not happen, just an annoyance - chromatic aberration.

My 10X quickly focuses down to 50 yards.

Above average glass, tough, fog resistant, soft easily scratched outer body, solid well machined brass inner workings, multi coated (green appearance), large protruding un covered adjust knobs, close to what you want and what you get adjustment values.

If you don't mind a bulky 30mm tube scope this will work. I have had experience with 10X, 12X & 16X SWFA SS's and prefer the 12X's having a mil type reticle and .1 mil adjustments.

Warranty is outstanding. A new scope replaces the old one. SWFA people are nice.

If you don't mind a bulky 30mm tube scope this will work. I have had experience with 10X, 12X & 16X SWFA SS's and prefer the 12X's having a mil type reticle and .1 mil adjustments.

I have three SWFA scopes two 10x and one 6x all have mil type recticles and mil adjustments in .1 mil.

I have rear adjustable parallax on all mine and prefer it to side or front parallax I have on other scopes.

When I'm in the market for a new scope I look no farther then SWFA.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I have SWFA scopes in 10x, 16x and 20x. I can pretty much shoot at 50 with all of them--you'll have absolutely no problem with the 10x other than re-adjusting your parallax.

Back