Swedish Mausers: anyone here a fan?

RickC

I had one hell of a stroke of good luck this week. I bought my first Swede and ended up with a beaut. I thought I was buying a straight-up 96, but there are several things not text book on this one. It has the micrometer dial rear sight (a la M38), and a bent bolt (also a la M38), but retains the original 29.5" barrel (definitely NOT M38). I have been told that I could have an M41B, essentially a sniper model that was issued without the scope.

What I do know is the metal is almost perfect, the bolt s/n's match the s/n of the rifle, the stock has only minor wear marks, and the disc says it is a no. 1 bore measuring 6.51. All this in a rifle with 1902 on the receiver ring! Man, the Swede's knew how to make them and treat them well.

Can anyone confirm if this is a 1941B model?

I'm taking the "old girl" out tomorrow and let her strut her stuff at the local range. :-).

Rick

I have owned a Orbendorf mfg sweede for a while .I use it to impress the boys at hunting camp. We sometimes shoot a rock that is aprox 2 ft. in dia. it is 420 yds from the front porch bench rest.I use sweed ball ammo set the site on 375 meters hold near the top of the rock and a little left and watch the dust fly off the rock almost every time.Im sure it would be fun at 1000yds but this is hill country near impossible to find a place to shoot over 500yds without upsetting the neighbors.

My information is from "The Swedish Mauser Rifles" by Steve Kehaya & Joe Poyer (1999).
The Rear Sight on a m/41b should say "m55" or "m58" on the sight leaf. It is not the same sight as on an m38.
The m/41b should not have a threaded barrel, as the m/41b was not used to fire traing blanks.
An m/41/b should have a scope side mount on it or at least the holes where one used to be. It is not really a sniper rifle without a scope. Just ask Sarah Brady about this.
I think the Swedes did some odd things with these rifles in their last days when they were mostly using them for target practice. It might be one of these odd rifles. I suspect it is not a real m/41b.

I love the Swede Mausers.
I have twom M38s in full military dress, they both shoot great, and are definitely keepers.

I think I have an M38, it has a 23.8" barrel on it, which used to be my father's and I loved it. This was the first centerfire rifle I ever shot and it picked off quite a few deer at around 250-300 yards down the back field. It has some minor surface corrosion on it so I pulled her apart and I am cleaning her up. I just got a 6-24 scope for her and a set of reloading dies and see what will happen. I am going to put a Choate stock on her to mount a harris bipod, due to the fact that I do not want to drill any holes in the original stock. The easiest thing I can say to wrap up is that you have got a good rifle that I would feel perfectly safe shooting a whitetail at 300+ yards with a good scope.

RickC

Could be that you've gotten yourself a Swede target model. I seem to remember reading that the Swedes used this rifle a lot for high power competition (or what ever the European equivalent is) and that they equiped their (target) rifles with micro sights. This would seem to be the case seeing how you have a nearly perfectly spec dia. bore along with the good adj. sights. Can anyone else confirm or deny? Good luck!
Unkel Gilbey

I love the old Swedish Mausers. I have a model 96 - straight bolt, long barrel. It shoots really well. The bore and metal is in excellent condition. The wood is OK. I traded a Jennings J-22 and $30 for it. I think it is an older import, because there are no importer stamps on it (Samco or Century International I think are the big ones). Great guns though. I also have a bayonet for it and the cleaning rod extension. I also ordered a small screw on cap for the threaded barrel. Makes it look a little nicer. If you haven't tried the indoor practice rounds yet you should. They are cheap and fun to shoot.

Yes the Swedish mauser are great guns, my colection inclues 2-96/b 2-38b and a sporterized 94 (if anybody has a extra 1894 stock please give send a message) all are fine shooters. The Sniper ver had a 4x ajax scope and NO rear sight. If you reload I can recommend the Sierra 120g Match King it works just great. You can get a "apature" sight from williams for <$20 replaces the normal sight and works quite well.

IF your rifle has 2 holes on the top back of the reciver it had been setup with the Swiss made apature sights wich can be had for $200

Samco has a bunch of accessories for the sweede advertised on page 117 & 130 of SGN

Back