Swedish Mauser M96

HM3

Hey everybody!

Since the recent acquisition of my K98k, I've developed a terminal case of antique milsurp rifles. My next purchase, hopefully to be made in the next month, is an Swedish M96 from Samco Global Arms. They have the "special select" for $149.95 and a "very good" for $129.95.

I am well aware of the M96's reputation for fine workmanship and accuracy. However, I'm not sure about Samco's reputation; are they reputable, ie customer-friendly?

One other thing, if I do purchase from them, is the difference between "special select" and "very good" significant?

SAMCO is o.k. in my experience. Seems slow but I was impatient. I am not inclined to pay extra for any Swede because all the ones I have handled had the barrels FULL of grease anyway. Now if it is some unit marking on the stock... Them Swedes were silly about rebarrelling... (I was usually buying ammo) GOOD LUCK.

HM3,

I had the same problem, bought 1 military surplus rifle, got hooked and now have 6-8. The Swede is an excellent rifle. I picked up 2 of them about 2 years ago, all matching numbers and excellent bores, for $69.95 each. I wish I had bought a dozen.

Man, it seems the price on these beautiful rifles have gone straight through the roof, relatively speaking! Shall still buy one, though. Heard too many good things about them to pass on one.

I have 4 Sweeds 2 M96 1 M38 & 1 M94 (slightly sporterized darn) and I would recomend ANY sweede to just about any body but PLEASE dont hack on it. If you want to 'sporterize' it find one that has allready been buthc ah er I mean sporterized Century has a bunch of them all ready in a synyth stock with scope for 250 or so..

Prices of good,original military rifles have gone up fantastically. At the risk of being boring and repetitious:

Sporterizing is a process by which one takes a $600 gun and spends $500 to make a $200 gun out of it.

If you want a sporter, buy a new one from an American company and support our firearms industry. Keep the historical gun original.

Jim

Nope, shall not "butcherize" this rifle. Once bought, it will be well cared for, but worked hard!

Will probably get the "very good" condition M96 based upon the experiences related to me by rangerco. Will buy it as a present to myself for completing another semester at school without losing the rest of my hair!

Back