Swede M96

highpower3006

After years of wishing that I hadn't sold my Swedish M96, I managed to pick up one from a friend of mine. The other one I had years ago was in a bit better shape, but this one ain't bad.

Took it to the range today and with some borrowed ammo I managed to shoot some 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a 95 year old rifle using 61 year old eyes :).

Just thought I'd show it off a little.

IMG1544-XL.jpg

IMG1423-XL.jpg

IMG1513-XL.jpg

IMG1547-XL.jpg

IMG1521-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!
Swedes are my favorite. After buying an M96, I soon acquired an M38 and CG-63 within a couple of months...they proved to be a little addictive.
Nice looking stock, is beech? The diopter sights are a great feature, it was probably owned by a FSR shooter. With the right load, they can be a serious tack driver.

The FSR was the Frivilliga Skytterorelsen. They are (or were) a volunteer shooting organization in Sweden that holds competitions around the country...they'd probably be comparable to our CMP.

Thanks for the compliments. The sights do indeed, make a world of difference in how well I can shoot it.

The stock is elm. I heard that they only used elm between 1915 and 1917 or maybe 1918.

That´s not quite right.
The carl gustav manufactory used until 1914 only stocks from walnut.
1915 only beech, 1916 beech and ash stocks. And from 1917 until 1918 a mixture of beech, ash, walnut an even mahogany.
I just hope i have all the words translated correctly ;)

Looks nice!
I picked up several about 20 years ago when they were $100 a piece.
Most were accurate and few were great. Over the years some were used to make sporter rifles out of them and other were given away and now I only have two left (1901 and 1912) in the safe. Those are not going anywhere.

Back