SWAT Cops KIA in GA?

Matt VDW

This incident happened somewhere near Atlanta, I think, at about the same time as the daytrader shootings. The scenario, as I recall from the newspaper story I read:

Police went to a suspect's home. The suspect shot and wounded one police officer. The police then withdrew and summoned the SWAT team. SWAT showed up and stormed the home unsuccessfully, getting two SWAT cops killed in the process. Then, after a standoff, the suspect was killed by a sharpshooter (I think).

Does anyone know any more about what happened? I'm curious about what went wrong. Did the suspect use a rifle that defeated the officers' body armor? Did the SWAT team rush in without good tactical intelligence? Had the suspect been planning for this scenario or was he just "lucky"?

Given the track record of law enforcement, esp. in CA, my first thought was "Good, two stormtroopers fewer left for us". Then I considered that, just maybe if not likely, the guy who killed the cops was up to no good. Have to train myself to give cops benefit of the doubt, mainly for my own peace of mind. Sad.

That's pretty much what happened.

The first officer on scene tried to use his baton to keep the guy away from his gun. He should have shot him. It would have been justified.

Back