Swaging 5.56 AFTER trimming down to 300 BLK?

KentM

So I normally swage my 5.56 brass with the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager before trimming down to 300 BLK length. But it would make for a more efficient flow if I could swage it AFTER cutting it down.

Has anyone used the RCBS Swager on 300 BLK length brass? I wonder if the lack of a .22 caliber neck and the shortened length affect how the swager rod centers in the casing?

You may need to indicate which swager you are using.

The very old version I have for use with a single stage press uses the same set up for .30-06 and .45 ACP for large primers or 5.56 and 9m for small. Doesn't seem to have any issue with the rod diameter. Placement in the case holder is more important.

I have the new version, but you're right, it does work for 9mm so 300 BLK should work too!
It came with a small rod for .223/5.56 and a large rod for over 25 cal. One swage head for small primers and one for large primers, but they don't say if you can use the large rod with small primer holes. But I don't see why not...

The case is centered by the swager on the bottom, not the rod.

I would be careful. You will notice the inside of the rod is cupped. As I understand it the swager system also acts as a primer pocket uniformer and can tighten up loose primer pockets. I suspect the diameter of the rod is related to the primer pocket diameter and the swager below, not the neck diameter.

I would use the small rod with the small madrel

also, note the cup in in the bottom of the rods will be applying pressure in different plsces

Last edited:
The case is centered by the swager on the bottom, not the rod.

I would be careful. You will notice the inside of the rod is cupped. As I understand it the swager system also acts as a primer pocket uniformer and can tighten up loose primer pockets. I suspect the diameter of the rod is related to the primer pocket diameter and the swager below, not the neck diameter.

I would use the small rod with the small madrel

also, note the cup in in the bottom of the rods will be applying pressure in different plsces
Neither the press mounted or bench mounted RCBS swager tighten up loose primer pockets.

Back