SW99/WaltherP99 vs. 1911's

gunpowder

Looking for my first Semi-Auto Carry gun. I liked the SW99 but the forum discussions are scaring me off. In feeling the SW99 vs. P99 I felt the SW99 had a better feel and the cosmetic changes S&W did were more appealing. I think the grips may be slightly differenton the SW99 (not sure). I have also looked a some 1911's (love those rosewood grips)but felt the DA's were a better direction for carry. Any comments. I have looked at alot of guns lately and my larger hands liked the feel of the SW99/P99 and the 1911's best. I apparently like the thinner longer grips.

gunpowder-
I've owned an SW99 9mm for about two weeks now and have over 600 rds through it. Here's my appraisal of it so far:

- two malfunctions. The first malf occurred on the fifth round fired and resulted when the case mouth got hung up on the forward lip of the magazine. I set aside that particular magazine and the problem went away. The second malf was at round #180 and was a light primer hit. I inspected the round and noted that the primer was seated deeper than normal. The next 420 rounds were fired without incident. I have had none of the reported malfs that were posted about the Walther P99. I put a bevel on the lip of the magazines and have had no further problems.

- recoil is extremely mild

- the gun is EXTREMELY accurate and I find that I shoot it with much more precision than my USP/c .40

- the trigger is very smooth, however, I was able to try the triggers on four other SW99's before selecting the one with the best trigger. I noticed that the trigger pulls differed substantially.

- the ergonomics of the gun are second-to-none.

I would suggest that you fire a rental SW99 at your local range and make up your own mind. I am pleased with my SW99's performance so far but plan to fire at least 400 more rounds before I carry it to make sure that the earlier malfs were a result of the breaking in period.

------------------
El Cid '89

Gunpow, this is my honest opinion and nothing against you Cak...
I just don't see anything in the SW-99. I know that it is somewhat similar to the P-99, but it's not.

Again, personal preference. I like S&W hand cannons, but I HATE they're autos. Many people do. The SW-99 is a marketing strategy from a patented product and a copywritten brand name. Why would S&W want to manufacture a pistol that they had hardly any new ideas upon? They're Sigmas suck, that's why.

The SW-99 isn't a joint venture created product, it is a purchased copyright, plain and simple.

Gunpow, I'm sure the SW-99 will be just fine for you. Personally, I like the P-99's grips, slide, triggerguard (pointed end), and manufacturer name better than the SW-99's.

If you want a P-99 they are still around.

Good luck to the both of you.

By the way, I have a P-99 on order (9mm).

Glock Glock, heed the following: "Get rid of that Nickel Plated Sissy Pistol and get yourself a Glock" Tommy Lee Jones

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited December 10, 1999).]

The way I look at is: the only reason to buy a 9mm SW99 is if the price difference between that and a Walther P99 is important. My opinion is that the Walther looks better.

If you're looking at the .40, it's much more complicated. There have been numerous reports of the P99 .40 having slide-lock problems. Also, there's the wide-spread problem of 9mm designs being adapted to .40. I've heard that the SW99 slide and barrel were designed around the .40, not the 9mm, and that the resulting package is more reliable than the P99 .40.

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

Buy the P99!!!
Earl's repair Shop carries the entire Walther line.
His e-mail address is:
waltherusa@mediaone.net

I am the proud owner a P99 and I love it. I have about 1300 rounds through it maybe more. The only time it malfunctioned was with a buddies lead reloads. It hasn't hiccuped since. That was about 700 rounds ago. I like buying weapons that are made and designed by the same people, not some hybrid. I don't doubt the SW99 is a good pistol but I like the long heritage of the Walther line. It instills not only confidence but pride of ownership as well. Call me a romantic but I like German engineering and not just when it comes to guns. Ultimately it's what you can afford that will dictate what youcan purchase. Good luck either way.

P.S. It's kind of fun to say James Bond and you have the same taste in weapons.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The SW-99 isn't a joint venture created product, it is a purchased copyright, plain and simple.[/quote]

Actually, the lower is MANUFACTURED in Germany by Walther, and the slide/barrel assembly is made in the US by S&W. By definition, that is joint-venture.

I own one, and I haven't had a single misfire or failure to feed in about 750 rounds. I also own a 3rd Generation S&W 5906, and 622.

I wonder where all this anti S&W comes from, sometimes. This isn't the 70's anymore... I know it seems preposterous, but there are people out there paying reasonable prices and getting great handguns in exchange.

I refuse to pay 150 bucks more for the Walther name. Besides, mine still says "Walther" on it...just not on the slide. ;)

------------------

-stark-
ShootersNetwork
http://www.shootersnetwork.com
Web Hosting & Design for the shooting community

I was looking at the 40S&W. I have reloading equipment but they say not to use reloads in a CC gun. I guess if you want to go with 40 SW then the SW99 would be the gun due to the changes Smith and Wesson made. If one is looking at the 9mm then the P99 may be the better choice. I would also like to look at a Steryl before making a decision. It looks interesting as well.

Back