SW99 vs. P99

Anybody have any experience in comparing the walther and the s&w? How much better was the walther? ;) They look to be almost identical. What are the diff. if any in performance? Thanks in advance

Derrick

------------------
I need more toys. I must have more toys.

Need more toys:

Search on this site for comments but there have been some pretty negative comments about both guns. too much trigger travel, gritty trigger, ma release in awkward position, ammo sensitive and that is just from a test drive at the range last week shooting a Walther P99. Since the the SW99 is an american made Walther with a SW label on it, it's probably going to suck too!

I shot reloaded ammo accpeted by glocks, sigs and hks without a hitch and the Walther coughed on 2/3 rounds a mag.

Get a Glock 26, Glock 30, Sig P226 in 9mm, or an HKP7. I was embarrassed after I shot it and the guy asked me what I thought about it!

I'd rather by a Kel Tec P111 or a Taurus Millineim. And those are scary too!

For $600 + the field is wide open, me, I just snagged a hk p7 squeeze cocker for potential CCW duty but my G26/G30 are currently serving there.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter

need more toys - I just purchased a P99 in 9mm but have zero experience with the SW version. I therefore cannot contribute any relevant answer to your questions. However, I can share some VERY favorable firsthand impressions derived from shooting and handling my P99 if that would be of help. If so, please e-mail me to continue this discussion elsewhere. God bless.

This debate has been heavy since 12/9/99 refere to below. My developing take from the post (not owning one but looking into buying) is Most are negative on S&W because of using someone elses patten. If you want a 40 cal. the Walther had problems that S&W seems to have fixed. Keep in mind that the 40 cal is not fully supported on the bottom so don't consider reloading. If you want a 9 which was the original design of the gun most are going with the Walther P99 because they are the original designers. Remarks on the SW99 in 9 have also been more favorable than the same in 40SW. Still reading though.

Yeah, I've been reading other posts too. Sig is right in a way. My cousin is a one of the marketing directors for S&W Springfield and they indeed did use their Sigma design to modify most of the gun.

Personally I like the P-99. Will get one soon.

------------------
Go get my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOT%$%F*&$ER"

Well i guess i am one of the lucky ones my sw99 .40 is doing very well and hasnt had one tovepipe or malfunction since owning it over 600 rounds or so. i have only used two different ammo federal and blazer, no problems, it shoot good as good as my sig,but i am no marksman and neither is any standard gun i have seen yet out of the box, the sig recoil being different I would expect that since the sig is heavier. what i do see is alot of different opinions and to many from people who either havent shot one or heard about one or some range gun, well first, i think range guns are for looks and feel. if you trust an abused gun, who know how old or misused then well ok, make your decision, I like everyone else like to talk about other guns but i limit my comments to either articles or trusted friends who i shoot with about what i know. just doesnt make since to jaw away at something i am unaware of( if you know what you are talking about well then jaw away). if we all liked the same gun then there would only be one, i have a couple of guns to many but that what makes it fun, i liked the sw99 for the grip and .40 cal and decocker, as well as weight, the trigger is pretty nifty but not for everyone, obviously since most gun makers have many different triggers even for the same gun. it has a crisp end point and the long pull is more for safety than accuracy in my opinion. some mention the mag release is akward, only if you try using two hands. it fits me great for a quick Right hand thumb drop and release. but hey this is only one person with just one SW99 not the entire market share.
happy shooting
Mike

------------------
shut up and reload.

Gun Tests Magazine (no advertising) named the P99 Walther as "Gun of the Year" last year.

Take that for what is's worth.... they didn't name the Glock.

My only experience here has been fondling a SW99 in my local shops. No one seems to be carrying the P99 (much to my dismay). I've been told that the two guns are mechanically identical, but that the P99 has much nicer machining due to higher Walther standards (although S&W did have to demonstrate sufficient standards to Walther as part of the joint venture deal).

What I don't like about the SW99 is the sight picture. I'm used to my Glock 17 with that nice big white U on the rear, and the big dot up front. By comparison, the SW99 has these 3 teeny dots and it seems like the aperture on the rear sight is too wide.

Anybody know if the P99 has a different sight picture than the SW99? Are aftermarket sights available?

In the rest of the world, the P99 has the U shaped outline. The American market gets the teeny dots.
eurosite.jpg
Here's info on the sights.

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

I just shot about 100 rounds through my P99(Walther) today.good 1.5-2 in. groups. No jams or glitches. I was shooting 115gr. Denal hardball. In fact I have never had a hicup yet with this gun. I love it!!

The P99 was designed for the 9mm cartridge. That is what works the best in it. The 40sw was just an after thought to try and cash in on a new fad!

Now go and do the right thing, and buy the Walther!

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Well boys and girls since no one person could give me any definitive information as to wich pistol was better, and trusted local gun shop did, I made my descision. SW99 in 9mm. It fit well in my hand, it was considerably less expensive, and I like the slide better than the walther. Now just gotta wait 10 damn days and I'll give you a range report.

------------------
I need more toys. I must have more toys.

[This message has been edited by need more toys (edited December 21, 1999).]

Mr Toys, if you did you're research on this topic, you would have plenty of info.

Not our fault you got stuck with it.

Back