SW99 Report

Ulfilas

No, this is NOT a "This Gun is better than that Gun" thread (Don't want it to be one, anyway). Just reporting my impressions of my new SW99 from the perspective of being a USP owner as well.

Pluses
It's size. Nice and compact. Better for concealed carry than my USP9f, admittedly.

Out-of-the-box end-user customizability: three backstraps for practically all hand sizes, adjustable rear sights and four different front posts, all of which the end-user can swap out.

Speaking of grips, Walther did well to consult with that professional regarding the grips. They fit very comfortably.

S&W wasn't kidding when they said they beefed up the slide. It's thicker than most other handguns I've seen. Makes my USP's slide look like a beer can. Chamber seems well supported.

The decocking button helps ease my uneasiness about the lack of a manual safety.

I like the cocked striker indicator, and the loaded chamber indicator.

The three modes of trigger pull are pretty neat (DA and 2 SA modes), especially the introduction of that single-action long-stroke mode.

Accuracy is good, but I'm starting to have trouble distinguishing between an accurate pistol and my own accuracy as a shooter ;) (You can interpret that anyway you want) S&W claims the SW99 is more accurate than the P99.

The bright-colored follower on the magazines was a good idea.

Minuses
It's not HK. ;)

On slide lock, the barrel sits very loosely. I don't know if that has any bearing on accuracy.

I'm still a little wary of pistols without a manual safety (fear of a ND or AD), but I guess it means I'll have to exercise a little more of the primary safety (the one between my ears).

Cocking the striker from DA mode by shifting the slide back a little is an added feature, but admittedly, I still prefer using just my thumb.

The trigger pull on all modes is long (especially in DA mode). I understand Walther deliberately did this in place of a manual safety. The Break point seems to be way back near the frame further than I'm used to, which really puts the temptation on the shooter to stage the trigger. This will take some getting used to.

I can't confirm this, but there doesn't seem to be any trits available for the SW99. At least, not from Trijicon or Mepro. If anyone knows where I could get some, I'd appreciate it.

Ditto on holsters. There just doesn't seem to be very many out there, unless you went to a place like Stellar Knife in West Palm for a custom job.

NO PRE-BAN normal capacity mags, unless P99 mags are compatible with a SW99. That would be niiiiiiiiice. :) Just one of those drawbacks of putting out a pistol in these crazy Brady days.

But all in all, I think I made an excellent choice, and I may very well wind up using it as my primary concealed carry gun. But probably not until I can get some trits and a good holster for it.

jth

------------------
Whatever happened to Cincinnatus?

I tested the SW99 a little bit. I like its looks. I kind of prefer a shorter trigger pull. Since there is no manual safety, I suppose S&W thinks a longer trigger pull is necessary?

re: chamber

I was disappointed here. When I dropped a round into the chamber, it looked very well supported --- very little exposed brass in the 6 o'clock position of the chamber opening.

"But", after measuring the fired brass, it was equal to Glock brass, which has an unsupported chamber. Obviously, the SW99 has a pretty loose chamber. The lower diameter of the brass measured around .431 --- yuck. My Steyr M40 brass measures between .427 - .429. Now these measurements are based on full power loads mind you.

So be careful if you're shooting remanufactured or reloaded ammo. Pistols with unsupported chambers always blow first.

cheers

Only half a Walther...

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

I now have 1,000 rds through my SW99 9mm and am very pleased with its performance so far. I find it more accurate than a USP/c and about as accurate as a USP/F.

Night sights- I believe that the SW99 uses the same set-up as the P99. I just ordered a set of Trijicon from Botach and will let you know if they work.

Holsters- Kramer makes them for the SW99. The MSP paddle holster is very well made and comfortable.

Trigger travel length- Double action is comparable to a USP. Single action is very short and akin to a Glock trigger reset.

------------------
El Cid '89

While I'm on the topic, let me ask a couple other SW99-related questions.

The barrel in slide-lock. Very loose (wiggles around a lot with the slide locked back). Is this normal for the SW99?

Also, the flare that's at the end of the 9mm barrel. Never seen that before. It's meant to hold the barrel in place on the slide, I know, but that makes me wonder if the slide was made for a 9mm pistol or a .40 (nothing's stamped on the slide relative to the caliber like you find on other guns).

That may open up the possibility of quick switches to other calibers with this gun, but nothing has been mentioned about this by S&W nor any other SW99 owners so far.

Feeding: Maybe because it's so new, but feeding doesn't seem to be as smooth as with my USP. I can cycle rounds manually with no problem with the USP, but when I do the same with the SW99, it wants to stick a little when chambering a round. The loading ramp is rather steep, and you can see where the copper jackets rub off on it.

But there seems to be no problem with it feeding automatically. Granted, I had a few misfeeds my first fifty rounds, but no noticeable problems beyond that.

jth

------------------
Whatever happened to Cincinnatus?

I much prefer my SW99 to my 92FS. It's much lighter, the sights are larger and I really like that long trigger pull, it really surprises you when it goes off. I too am looking for a set of trij sights would be very thankful to hear if the Trijicon fit

------------------
I need more toys. I must have more toys.

Just came home from the gun show with my new SW99 9mm. I chose it over the Steyr m40 (grip didn't fit me). Hope it works. I hated to spend the money (credit card) but my wife talked me into it :D

I just locked the slide back on my P99.
The barrel is indeed a little loose. However there has been NO observeable negative effect on the accuracy!! :)
As for holsters, if you like Kydex, Arizona Tactical Accessories (480)529-6304 makes both strong side and IWB holsters for the SW99!! :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

[This message has been edited by denfoote (edited January 08, 2000).]

Back