SW99-9mm question on sighting problems

gunpowder

My SW99-9mm hasn't hickupped yet with 49 rounds. My problem is that I am shooting about 12"+ low at 20-25 yards using 115gr winchester clean target/range. I switched to the smallest front sight but am still 8" low at 20 yards. The manuals said it was sighted at the factory at 25 yards. Is it because I am only shooting 115gr? Any SW99-9 owners have a similar problem or is it some serious sighting problem I am doing. I am shooting at a target 1 1/2' off of the ground and resting on the hood of my car or the side of a wood 4x4 post. Pattern seems relatively tight granting I am just getting use to it. Just really low!

I have an SW99 9mm and have found no problems with it shooting to point of aim. I am using Winchester 147gr exclusively, but I don't think that the point of impact should be much different just by using a lighter bullet. Give S&W a call for their advice. (I am of course assuming that you have proper sight alignment/sight picture when you are shooting.)

------------------
El Cid '89

Gunpowder,
Change your sights!!!
You have three of them packed with your pistol, and a allen wrench for doing the job.
Just follow the directions in your owners manual. It's easy!!! I did it with my P99. :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

I don't know yoour experience level on firing this type of weapon, however, I suggest that you have someone else fire the weapon and ten compare results. If they are consistant then move to a sight change. If it fired true at the factory it should be good.Carhoods aren't the best benches for firing to "sight in" either. If results are different then alter technique to match LOS.

------------------

I have already changed the front sight to the smallest sight. That raised it so that at least I was hitting the target but it is still 8" low. Shooting low is common for those who don't squeeze the trigger properly but out of 50 rounds on a new gun I would think that I would have corrected for that. I am not new to shooting. As for shooting over the hood of my car. You have to remember it is the middle of winter here and there is no gun range available within the 3 county area!

I plan to switch ammo brands and go from there. Maybe shoot over some sand bags. I just wanted to see if this might be a common occurance with this model.

Back