SW99 (.40) vs. SIG 228/229?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvich

Inactive
Sounds like a SIG is a great all-around gun for CC, target, etc. How about the SW99 in comparison. I really like the look of it, the flush decocker, grip, etc. Has anyone shot both?

There is no comparison the SW auto does not even begin to compare to the SIGs. If you want SW get a .357MAG revolver!!! If you want an auto loader SIGS are the best out of the box.
There is my $00.02...

Both are top of the line firearms. It really comes down to how it feels when you shoot. You should consider an H&K, too. The compact especially for CC and for all hand sizes.

People either love or hate the Smiths. In auto form I am one of the haters. They are a very well built pistol. Their quality is exceptionally good. But the price is a bit higher than a comparible pistol with the same performance can be bought.
The reasoning behind that statement is this, the triggers are very sloppy and generally a pain to adjust. For tactical engagement or self defense, where reliably is imperitive, they excell. That's why a whole lot of law enforcement peolpe carry them. For target practice civilian carry, I would go after a sig or walther p99. To me a glock is more user friendly as a tactical or CC firearm. What ever your choice make sure you shoot the gun before you buy it.
The main hate I have of a Smith is the 2x4 feeling grip. I have medium hands and need a slimmer profile in the web.
In my oppinion the best deal on the market today is the Walther P99. It has an ergonomic grip and fits most medium to large hands well. I have a 6906 Smith, so I will not say I totally hate them, just loathe I guess.

Greetings, Having owned both; I can assure
everyone that Smith & Wesson auto-loader's
can't hold a candle (much less a light) to
the fine firearms produced by Sig-Sauer !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

Rob B. - How is the grip different in size or thickness between the SW99 and the Walther P99?

You are aware the lower of the SW99 is made in germany by Walther, right? Blaming S&W for any ergonomic problems is like blaming an importer because Heineken tastes funny.

SW99 owner and happy as hell with it,

------------------

-stark-
ShootersNetwork
http://www.shootersnetwork.com
Web Hosting & Design for the shooting community

Stark I was speaking of the general S&W grip. I have shot quite a few of them and have owned 6 or 7. Basically the wrap around plastic grip doesn't fit my hand well. I wasn't speaking of the SW 99's grip, just the S&W in general. They have the same blocky design over and over just in different configurations, some like them some don't.

well I have both of the guns now and i think they are different and I look at them different. the sig is well made and shoots very nice but its also heavier, P229 the hand ergonomics are not the best for my smaller hand but i do well with it. It is very smooth and the trigger pull is good (all factory). it is a little top heavy compared to the Sw99 and seems to have less kick, mostly due to design and weight. the Sw99 is lighter both are .40 and the adjuster grip was perfect for my hand when i went to the smaller backstrap. i like the dual action trigger and sights better than the sig. if you had to carry something i would go for the sw99. even though the P229 is the compact it is still significantly bigger in size and weight. i shot both guns and feel the sig did pull tighter groups especially when doing rapid shots just because off less recoil again probably due to weight. cost well i got my SW99 cheaper than my sig P229 but only by a few dollars. P229 650.00 and 570.00 for the SW99. just my opinion i have had both for about 2 months, bought at the same time want both pistols, put about 300-500 rounds in each.

------------------
shut up and reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back