SW638 - worth the recoil? worth the price?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
A few days ago, I saw a like-new (used) SW638 for $220. That seems like a decent deal except for a few concerns:

How durable would it be?

How bad is the recoil with 130gr or 158gr practice ball? (compare to a steel counterpart like SW640 loaded with 38spl)

What's the best way to make the front sight more visible?

Please recommend holsters. Would a pocket holster work or is it too thick?

Anything else I should know?

I carried a 638 daily for a couple of years 'till my wife decided it was her gun. I switched to a Mod 19. Recoil with standard pressure 158 grainers is negligible, alto I kept it loaded with Federal 125 gr. Nyclads. That's what my wife still keeps in it.
I carried it in a Alessi Talon Plus IWB and it was very comfortable for me. Don't care for pocket carry but that's a personal thing.
As far as the sights go you might try some red nail polish. I have seen a J frame with a luminous dot installed in the front sight, but I don't know the cost.
Durability? They're designed with +P in mind so I would think you could shoot many thousands of standard 38s with no problem.
$220! That's a great deal.

Great little guns. Enjoy it. :)

Oleg, I seem to remember you complained about the titanium S&W 342? as having too much recoil. There isn't that much difference between the two.:(

FWIW

I find that the recoil of the 642LS was quite "lighter" than my 342PD. I could put 250 rounds through the 642 without a sore hand the next day. I can't with my 342PD. I am not overly sensitive to recoil and most often shoot a 12ga though.

$220 is a GREAT price if it isn't torn up and is +p rated as well.

Great price? Try SMOKIN' GOOD DEAL!

I haven't found ANY +P loads that I would rate as uncomfortable in my Airweight with boot grips. That said, anything standard pressure is a pussycat to shoot at length.

I've been wearing it in the front pocket of my cargo shorts during the hot summer weather here. So far, I have to suggest leather for such a rig. The small stabilizing tab on the bottoms of the nylon rigs just collapse on themselves easily, and this allows the holsters to sag down from the 'upright' position in your pocket. My leather rig is solid in that regard, with no problems.

IMO, the best thing you could do toward front sight visibility is to have it dovetail cut and install a black blade with Ashley white dot, or other night sight of your choice.

Now, go snatch that up before someone else beats you to it!:D

Oleg,

The 638 in my opinion is the best snubbie on the market. It can handle +P loads, which is nice for defense purposes, and the recoil with 158 gr .38's is noticeable, but not nothing you should worry about. Plus, it has a shrouded hammer, which I think is the best of both worlds - no sharp edges but can still be fired SA. I have carried a 638 as my primary CCW weapon for over a year, and never feel undergunned. I load it with Hydrashoks and keep it in an Uncle Mike's Mirage, which is made specifically for shrouded hammer guns.

Very much worth it and the recoil is very managable. It's also very durable for as much as most people shoot them and as long as you don't feed it a steady stream of +p ammo.

M638 or M640

I carried a M638 for over a year in a "Smart Carry" holster. One day a masked man rushed in our drug store with a bandana over his face banished a PK pistol. I attempted to draw the 638 to no avail as it would not release fron the "Smart Carry"holster. The subject prefaced each of his commands with the phrase "I will kill you if you don't do as I say." Needless to say it was a very distressing situation. Fortunately we followed his directions and he left us unharmed. I now carry a .357 M640 in a Galco pocket holster and am able to present the weapon loaded with Federal personal defense cartridges in a microsecond. I hope I never need it but I practice the whole routine every weekend at the Police Pistol Range. The M640 feels more like a revolver because of the weight and the smooth action.Doc

The 638 is one of S&W's best efforts. Clear anodizing (not that soft polymer coating), stainless....aahh, nice. Try the Ken Null SPS for a pocket holster, has a feature that will allow a clean draw, cheap too!
JB

I carry my model 638 in my front pocket, in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster. It is a great gun. Shoots well, easy to conceal, and weighs almost nothing. (15 oz.)

Back