SW revolver-no SN/MN

If you open up the cylinder, and look at the arm that swings out, there is usually a model number stamped into the metal there.

I know you said there is no serial number or model number, I'm just really surprised because even their Model 1's from the 1800's got serial numbers. Nothing on the butt of the revolver? How about underneath the grips on the frame?

Apologies if you've already checked those areas.

1. Possession of a firearm with deleted serial number is illegal in the USA.
2. I never even heard of a Smith and Wesson made without serial number, not even for the CIA.

If “CIA issue” means “stolen in a burglary”, your friend may be right.

Check the butt, under the grips and, inside the crane.

If there is no serial number anywhere on the gun, and, it’s stainless steel, it’s a modern gun that MUST have a serial number.

Possession of it is a major problem.

It only bears Smith and Wesson on left side of bbl, and 38 S and W special CTG. on right side.

Sounds like you don't have a S&W. You have something with a S&W barrel on it.

The usual places for S&W serial numbers are either the bottom of the grip frame or under the cylinder yoke.

I am unaware of anything S&W ever made for sale that didn't have a serial number, AND the S&W name on it.

There are only limited possibilities, the gun was made by S&W, or it wasn't.
There are guns that look like S&W but aren't.

Second, and more important, the gun either had markings that have been removed, including a serial number, or it never did.

And this is where it becomes a legal matter. Since 1968, every gun sold in the US has been required by law to have a serial number and the maker's name and address. The exception is, guns made before 1968 are not required to have a serial number UNLESS the maker put one on it.

A LOT of budget grade .22s and shotguns made before 1968 never had serial numbers, and are legal to own today without serial numbers.

BUT, a gun that had a serial number when made (no matter when made) must have a serial number on it now, or its not legal to own.

it is illegal to possess a firearm that has had the serial number "altered, defaced, or removed". No matter who did it, or when. If you have such a gun in your possession, YOU are breaking the law.

Doesn't matter if the serial number was "altered, defaced, or removed" in 1898 or last week, if you possess such a gun, you're breaking the law.

IF you find you are in possession of an illegal gun, the only legal course of action is to surrender the gun to law enforcement. DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE. DO NOT hammer it flat, melt it down, or throw it in the lake, no matter what anyone might tell you don't just "get rid of it" because doing so might be ANOTHER crime, as it could be destruction of evidence...

Generally speaking showing "good faith" in surrendering the gun (once you know, or suspect it is illegal to posses) rarely results in prosecution.

Its going to cost $ but I would recommend contacting a firearms lawyer, and following their advice.

You might have some rare valuable "factory goof". but I doubt it. You might have some handbuilt copy of a S&W frame fitted with S&W barrel. Unlikely but not totally impossible. You might have a S&W (or something else fitted with a S&W marked barrel) that was "scrubbed by the CIA" to remove all identifying markings.. unlikely as well, but even if it was, (and you can prove it) it's STILL NOT LEGAL for you to possess.

Check the gun carefully, inside and out. If you can't find a serial number, take it to the cop shop and give it to them, and answer any questions about where it came from, etc. You should be ok. Having a lawyer do that, on behalf of his client give you a bit more CYA, but costs. Your call, just remember the worst case is Felony conviction, prison time, fines and loss of firearm rights for life.

Good Luck!

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Magua136
Supporting Member
Join: about 12 hours ago

about 11 hours ago · #1
38 S. & W. SPECIAL CTG.-No model # OR serial #
Just picked up a "new to me" revolver tonight. Traded 2 old shotguns ….. ANYWAY, it is a very heavy bbl, 4 inch SS, NO hammer spur, DA only and bears no model OR serial #. Friend of mine suggests a CIA issue, maybe. From what I have gleaned thus far in searches tonight, it must be a "Centennial" ?/meaning born before 1957? It only bears Smith and Wesson on left side of bbl, and 38 S and W special CTG. on right side.
Has a "hand whittled to fit" set of Uncle Mikes grips on it, says fits K or L frame w round butt. Cleaned her up, took her straight to the range tonight under the headlights and she shoots like a dream; just an inch or so left. Oh, and fixed notch in back; blade front, no insert.

Any takers on what she is ?
Appreciate any help!
ArkieVol
Supporting Member
Join: Jun 2009
Born in Kentucky, raised in Tennessee, retired in north central Arkansas

about 10 hours ago · #2
We need several good pictures to help id your gun. The serial number will be on the bottom of the grip frame and you may need to remove the grips to see it. Letters are part of the serial number. Open the cylinder and there should be a model number and possibly other irrelevant numbers visible stamped on the frame.

4" heavy barreled fixed sight SS K frames came into existance in 1972 and some were made with bobbed hammers for PD use. Sounds like you may have a model 64. Pictures will tell.

Welcome to the forum!
Attachments
Show these thumbnails
Post Edited
Last edited by ArkieVol - about 10 hours ago
jonesy814
Join: Nov 2012
NW Pennsylvania

about 10 hours ago · #3
If it is a pre model number gun then it can't be stainless steel since S&W didn't make stainless in a in the 50s. Could be nickel or a hard chrome finish. If it truely has no serial number there are legal problems with ownership as every S&W 38 Special that left the factory did so with a serial number
Does the gun have adjustable or fixed sights.
The Centennial is a snub nosed, 5 shot small frame revolver with an internal hammer
Magua136
Supporting Member
Join: about 12 hours ago

less than 5 seconds ago · #4
SO,
I let my buddy know that I posted the message he sent me and gave him the advice that has been shared by you fine folks. He is in the process of surrendering his weapon. Thank you all for your help in this matter.

I hate to see it happen, but that's the law. I am sure that most of the guns so described on the internet simply retire to the back of the shelf; "I'm not giving away Grandpa's Gun!"

It is seldom enforced unless you get pinched for something else and they find a "scrubbed" gun to pile on charges with. Like it might be hard to prove mopery and dopery on the spaceways, but a contraband gun is prima facie proof of a crime.

I shall be sticking around. Too many good folks on here not to... Besides, life is a short journey, and one needs to gain as much knowledge while having fun at it, as one can.

Least that's what my Granpap taught me...

Thanks for the welcome!

A picture of the gun would help though. It's entirely possible the "SS" is actually a nickel gun. And a pre-model number S&W has the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame, likely hidden by the grips described. I've run into this before looking at S&Ws being bought, sold and traded. It's annoying to have to pull the grips to verify the numbers but it has to be checked.

(The SN is also repeated under the barrel where the ejector rod rides and the rear of the cylinder. Probably somewhere else I'm forgetting; I don't have my Combat Masterpiece at hand to reference.)

If after a thorough search no markings are found, surrender it and have it destroyed for being without serial number.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wow wasn't expecting that outcome, that's really unfortunate Magua136.

I had a thought of engraving a new serial number somewhere like what can be done with firearms you make yourself (and can do an FFL transfer using it if need be), but it looks like that's a no-go.

There is an option to have the BATF assign a new serial number and have a licensed gunsmith stamp the new number on the frame.

For details contact a BATF local office.

Thank you all for the information. I will try to catch up to him and see if he wants to try one of these options. I don't have the time to research this because of the hours I have to spend at work but I do appreciate all the intellect I've received on this.it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings to know some more about making the firearm legal for him. It's a shame to waste a good firearm. Anyway, thanks again for everybody. Thank u d y l for the reply

Back