SW Model 37 vs. 342PD

sox

Have any of you guys shot these two side by side, or for that matter any of the airweights side by side with the titaniums? I am curious, does even the 3oz or so difference make any difference in felt recoil?

Yes believe it or not the 3 ounces make a difference in recoil. I guess it just depends on your physical build and tolerence to recoil. Pesonally it doesn't bother me. But to some people the extra recoil makes the lighter gun painful to shoot. I just can't wait to get the new S&W scadnium in .357. Now that should be a blast in more ways than one!

FWIW, I have a Model 37 and a Model 342PD, and compared the two at the same range session. I should point out that my 37 has checkered walnut service stocks, while of course the 342PD has Hogue Bantams.

When it comes to shooting comfort (including recoil), whatever the importance of the difference in weight between these two guns, I find that the difference in stocks is even more important. Consequently, with the same ammo (standard pressure), the 342PD is much more comfortable to shoot than the 37, at least to me. In fact, I'd rather shoot my 342PD with +Ps than my 37 with standard pressure cartridges. :)

BTW, I have a limit, though, even with Hogue Bantams. I'm pretty sure that shooting 158-grain .357 Magnum cartridges through a revolver that weighs about the same as my 342PD would be past that limit. :eek:

My 1 1/2 cent.

Yes, there is a difference given the same stocks. The lighter guns have a noticably heavier recoil. Both can be found used, the 342 from people who don't like recoil and the Airweights because they have been around so long.

Back