SW 61- Has new Home. Tips? Accessories?

jtduncan

Since I'm new to revovlers, one of favorite gunsmiths (built the rifle that won WA State's long range rilfe comp at 600 yards) looked at the used $399 SW 610 with 6.5" barrel.

I got it for hunting deer/hog and target shooting so the 6 or 6.5" gets me accuracy out to 75 yards. For IDPA or IPSC, one of my Glocks is my fav tool.

Anyway, Dan (smith) said it was a really tight gun. So I snagged it and got a Hogue combat rubber grip too.

I'm planning on shooting targets at 50-75 yards. Moon clips? How many? Is a demooner tool with the $12? What about a moon clip holder for your belt?

What accessories do you have for your 610 or 625?

I have about 3 dozen stainless full moon clips. I may buy more. A good demooner is essential. It will make the difference between loving or hating a 610 or 625. In my opinion the full moons are the best. The only down side is I can burn up ALOT of ammo when loading the gun. Nice downside, isn't it?

justinr1

So do I load the 10mm cartridges into the moon clips then snap the moon clip on the top of the cylinder inserting the rounds like a HKS speedloader?

Are stainless moon clips the best? I've just seen black metal ones?

Where did you get yours and how many do I need for a shooting session with 60 rounds. 10 moon clips? Good to a couple dozen moon clips just like semi auto magazines?

What is a good demooners? I see that if you search Yahoo for "10mm moon clips" you get ShootersStore.

Are those good clips and a good demooner? That one is like a screwdriver and removes the spent cases and hold onto them in the grip handle.

For target and hunting, do I need a moon clip holder that clips onto my belt?

>>So do I load the 10mm cartridges into the moon clips then
>>snap the moon clip on the top of the cylinder inserting the
>>rounds like a HKS speedloader?

Yep. It’s a lot faster than a speedloader also. Ejecting is especially quick.

>>Are stainless moon clips the best? I've just seen black metal
>>ones?

I like the stainless clips but I don't think they are necessarily better.

>>Where did you get yours and how many do I need for a
>>shooting session with 60 rounds. 10 moon clips? Good to a
>>couple dozen moon clips just like semi auto magazines?

I got mine through Brownells catalog. They are not the cheapest guys in town but their service is excellent and the staff if very friendly. Too me that's worth the extra cost.

>>What is a good demooners? I see that if you search Yahoo
>>for "10mm moon clips" you get ShootersStore.

Again, Brownells. Get the kind that looks like a pair of pliers, except it works in reverse. You will be VERY glad you did. It also lets you remove two at a time. Easy.

>>Are those good clips and a good demooner? That one is like a
>>screwdriver and removes the spent cases and hold onto them
>>in the grip handle.

I like the one I described better.

>>For target and hunting, do I need a moon clip holder that clips
>>onto my belt?

If you want. I just carry mine loose.

Frankly, I wished all my revolvers loaded this way. You will have a blast with this gun. I promise you won't be disappointed.

justinr1

Back