SW 329pd .44Mag

glockman55

I'm trading for one of these.. I Know it's only 26oz. and Kicks like a Mule, and only a fool would want one.. LOL So be it.. I'm doing it mainly for a Woods Gun, Wolves, Bear, Bad guys, etc..Light weight, pacs a punch.. any good thoughts on this Beast?:D

A joy to shoot with warm 44 special loads. Absolutely horrendous recoil with even moderate 44 mag loads and I am not recoil sensitive. Very accurate and great to carry.

I've had three over the years. Still have two. Mine are equipped with the Hogue 500 S&W tamer grips. Shot around 9,000 rnds thru them (started keeping count after first negative event). Loads were 240gr to 265gr Jacketed/Cast at a chronoed 1,150 to 1,250 fps (Rem 240gr JFP factory chronoed 1,250 fps). My primary carry gun (all day every day) for the better part of a decade. Still carry one when bow hunting elk in high country. Always considered the 329 to be a primary defensive gun. For this reason, always liked the "V" notch rear and fiber optic front.

With that said, these are very specialized pieces of equipment. If shot a lot with loads equaling the above, they will require frequent trips back to the mother ship. If primary use is .44 special equiv and occasional .44 mag, then maint/repair frequency probably a non issue.

"the lock" is a potential problem. Also, carry ammo needs to be vetted for crimp jump -- these are extreme bullet pullers.

For me, the key to shooting these comfortably is:

1. Use the X Frame 500 grips -- not those provide by the factory.
2. Grip the gun a bit lower than you normally would (place you hand on the grip lower).
3. Don't mussel up on the grip -- not loose, but no gorilla grip.

I'm a fan, but don't try to make it more than it was designed to be -- short range, up close and personal, light weight carry gun. Have run 300gr+ over max charge(s) of 110/295 -- not for continued use, but doable.

Continued shooting of hi intensity loads will wear on the anatomy, so proceed with caution.

Load it to the threat level in your area and enjoy. Remember, under stress, recoil won't be a factor.

FWIW,

Paul

Paul, I can't seem to find the exact grips you mention,, could you send me the site.. thanks are these it X-Frame Impact Absorbing Hogue Square Butt Conversion Grips

Last edited:
Yes X Fram Impact Absorbng Hogue Square Butt Conv Grips.

Until recently, they were only available from S&Ws online store. Now they are avail directly from Houge for about $10 less.

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-k-l-n-x-z-frame-round-butt-rubber-conversion-monogrip-black

They can be modified some if desired with a belt sander (knife sharpener), Dremel drum sander attachment or a course sanding block. I've used all three. Here's one set I removed the finger groves and rounded the butt - shown on a S&W M69 2 3/4" bottom pic. Unmodified shown on 329 middle and 629 top.

IMG_0856.jpg

Paul

Thanks Paul.. I picked up the 329 today shot about 25 rds 44 spl.. and 6, 44 Mag 240 gr. It talks to ya a bit,, not bad.. the grips will help..

I have one for deep woods carry. Prior comments are right on point. Great gun for the purpose for which it is built. Mines very accurate. If you’re not in the backwoods with it, there’s not much of a reason to own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was short lived..lol Too much for this Old Man..My Son in law wanted it so we worked out a deal..I replaced it with a GP100 3" in .44 spl, Can't post Pics.. file size too big,, lol

Back