SVT40

highpower3006

Here are a few pics of my recently acquired SVT40. I got this off of Gunbroker when I had a few too many adult beverages and decided that this was the rifle for me. Still, I didn't do too bad and I got it for the low side of what they normally sell for.

It's a typical post war rebuild of a 1941 Tula built gun with electro penciled numbers on the bolt, carrier and trigger group. the rifling is strong, but dark as is typical of so many of these.

I shot it last weekend and I was beating the tar out of a medium sized rock offhand at 450 yards. I was using 174gr Wolf as I don't intend to shoot corrosive surplus through it.

All in all, I am very happy with it.

IMG_4455-XL.jpg

IMG_4444-XL.jpg

IMG_4445-XL.jpg

IMG_4458-XL.jpg

IMG_4446-XL.jpg

Hanging out with a couple of other Russians:
IMG_4451-XL.jpg

Looks like a nice example, I wouldn't run surplus through it, either. Milsurps don't cost $29.95 anymore, especially SVT40's.

there's a single SVT that constantly makes the rounds at my local gun show... every show the price tag increases by $100, and it's garbage compared to yours, cosmetically speaking.

Never talked with anyone that did not have feeding problems with them. Good luck with that.

Don't know about that. Admittedly, I only have 20 rounds through this one, but so far it never missed a beat. But I used new commercial Wolf 174gr ammo, not old surplus light ball. The gas system is adjustable and mine is set at 1.2 which seems to work fine.

Even at that it really doesn't matter as this is most definitely not a range blaster. I got it for the historical value and because they are cool. While I will shoot it some, it will only make a few trips to the range.

That's a very nice example of a fine rifle. The adult beverage buy turned out to be pretty good. I have not done as well on some of mine!

TK

This one is a 1942, and has no electro-pencil markings. I've had it for some time, and have put a few hundred rounds through it, NEVER any feeding problems.

Accurate? I've never bothered to group the gun on paper, but first round hits, offhand, on 2L pop bottles at 150meters, with crap chicom light ball surplus ammo tells me its accurate enough!

I am more than a bit shocked at the prices being demanded today. Saw two at recent shows, one for $1100 (quite beat up looking) and a better looking one, still not as good as mine, for $1400!:eek:

When I got mine, it cost me a whopping $125! :p:D

44 AMP said:
I am more than a bit shocked at the prices being demanded today. Saw two at recent shows, one for $1100 (quite beat up looking) and a better looking one, still not as good as mine, for $1400!
Two words: Import Ban. :rolleyes: Same goes for the (IMHO) crazy prices that commercial Dragunovs fetch.

FWIW one irony of the SVT-40 is that—despite generally much more severe gun laws there—IIRC fresh-from-the-crate examples could be had in Canada for around $350 CDN until the last 2-3 years when the supply apparently dried up. :rolleyes:

BTW nice rifle. :cool:

out of curiousity whenm why, and how were the SVT40s banned? they have 10 round capacities and are exempted from importation bans under the C&R clause of section 925-D, same way the SKS are still making it through.

"out of curiousity whenm why, and how were the SVT40s banned? they have 10 round capacities and are exempted from importation bans under the C&R clause of section 925-D, same way the SKS are still making it through. "

I think it was in response to Russia grabbing the Crimea from Ukraine. SKS from Russia likewise banned, but there's lots from other countries even Russian manufactured ones.

In canada i just picked up a russian sks for $200 last month. Ive only shot it one time but i had 6" groupings at 100yds....
0dae4711063113917ac7a6675b73c8b3.jpg
bf18acec250b0f2ba0813586a39842f8.jpg

tahunua001 said:
out of curiousity whenm why, and how were the SVT40s banned? they have 10 round capacities and are exempted from importation bans under the C&R clause of section 925-D, same way the SKS are still making it through.
Armed_Chicagoan said:
I think it was in response to Russia grabbing the Crimea from Ukraine.
The ban's history is more complicated and a good deal older than this.

As I understand it, International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) laws passed in the 1970s allow the U.S. Department of State to restrict imports of defense articles from certain countries for vague foreign policy reasons (..."in furtherance of world peace and the security and foreign policy of the United States"). The list of import-ban countries—not surprisingly—prominently included the Soviet Union and its various client states, along with a laundry list of the "usual suspects" (Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, the DPRK, etc). This wasn't a big deal to U.S. shooters at the time because arms imports from these countries were generally unavailable anyway.

A few years after the fall of the Soviet Union, the Clinton administration started untangling the web of trade sanctions against the former Soviet countries in order to prop up the foundering Yeltsin regime, and in April 1996, they struck a deal allowing the import of various types of Russian guns and ammo. This was called the Voluntary Restraint Agreement or VRA. However, as Clinton and Friends were not great supporters of gun rights by any stretch, they threw in a caveat* found in 27 CFR § 447.52 and Annex "A" of the VRA:
... the appropriate ATF officer shall deny applications to import into the United States the following firearms and ammunition:
(1) Any firearm located or manufactured in Georgia, Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russian Federation, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, or Uzbekistan, and any firearm previously manufactured in the Soviet Union, that is not one of the models listed below:
[My emphasis in boldface]

IOW the list specifies what IS allowed to be imported; everything else is banned by default. Additionally, the provision applies broadly to "any firearm previously manufactured in the Soviet Union", so it doesn't matter where the firearm is located today—it only matters that the firearm was originally made in the USSR.*

The entire list may be viewed at 27 CFR § 447.52. The Mosin-Nagant M91/30, M38, and M44 are on the list, along with Saigas, VEPRs, and Nagant revolvers; however, the AVT/SVT series (and Dragunovs and SKS's) are conspicuously NOT on the list.

To put this another way, the same trade deal that lets us buy cheap steel-case Tulammo and Brown Bear ammo is to blame for cutting off Soviet SKS and SVT rifles. :(

The Obama administration import ban that was enacted in retaliation for the annexation of Crimea applies specifically to products of the Kalashnikov Concern and a handful of other companies, which happens to encompass several firearms on the above-mentioned list, most notably Saigas. However, this ban is a separate deal that has nothing to do with the 1996 Clinton VRA, other than affecting certain firearms that would otherwise be allowed.

[*Edit to add footnote: I'm not entirely surprised that the Russians would agree to this, as the underlying purpose of lifting the trade sanctions was to boost manufacturing and thus keep Russians employed; opening up Soviet arms depots in former Warsaw Pact states to the U.S. commercial market would actively undermine this cause.]

Last edited:
Back