SVI

I have Wilson 1911's and even I got sticker shock at SVI guns. If I wanted a race gun, fine, but for a carry gun they are really expensive. Thier website has a "design your own" gun feature, so I made one the way I wanted, being VERY conservative on features. The quote came back at nearly $3000. I think titanium will nearly double this price. If you can afford it, go for it.

I've never seen one in person, but I think their slabsided 1911 is a thing of beauty. But $2000+ is a bit steep. I could buy a matching pair of Wilson KZ-45s for that. But I suppose if I had tons of disposable income, then I would certainly give them a look. I have heard that they are truly awesome.

I would put SV just slightly above Wilson and Baer, mor along the lines of Ed Brown. Maybe not quite as good as a one man shop like Hiene or Dane Burns...but better than almost anything out there. I got the chance to handle a bunch of their guns at the USPSA Limited nationals last year. They feature an INCREDIBLY tight lock up. If you can afford it, SVI is an awsome way to go.....

MPower wrote:

...VERY conservative on features. The quote came back at nearly $3000...

Ouch. IMHO, for a mostly standard carry - not racegun - 1911, once you get above $1500, give or take a couple hundred, you're either paying for the BNP's (Big Name Pistolsmith) name, or for "eye candy" that's not really functional.

Places like SVI and Ed Brown turn out nice guns . . . very, very nice, in fact. But you don't get what you pay for.

For what it's worth, I thought about buying their Ti 1911. The Tiki is beautiful and I thought it would be great for concealed carry, not to mention bragging rights, but they quoted me a price of $6000.00!!!! That is way too much money for a gun.

For that kind of money, the thing better shoot the bad guy before I know there's even a threat.

Back