SURVEY: What kind of buckshot and slugs do you load your defensive shotgun with?

Anthony

Hi Everyone,

Survey time!

What kind of buckshot do you load your defensive shotgun with?

What kind of slugs do you load your defensive shotgun with?

Why did you choose that load?

Please include brand, shell length, etc.

- Anthony

12 guage #4 3 inch magnums at "indoor" range it will hit like a glaser.. even a trap load would probably be lethal at 20 feet. And besides.. can't use that for waterfowl anymore.. not much good for any other role.

Buckshot tends to over penetrate walls, etc and slugs?? WAY too much power for HD.

Black powder shotgun:

90 Grains ffg and 18 dimes in left bbl,
90 grains ffg 6 .36 caliber balls, OR 18 star washers.
(substitute bits of chain, pottery shards, broken glass, marbles, breath mints, or triple wads for a variety of effects) Smoke screen generated by pulling trigger should allow you to escape plus set off the fire alarm, alerting the nieghbors and fire department. Near miss could STILL set Bad Guy's clothes/hair afire and send him fleeing from the scene in abject terror.

(note to self to put in ear plugs before opening fire, keep extinguisher near by to put out flameson drapes/carpet/dog/girlfriend after pulling trigger.)

;)

Dr.Rob

I'll give you what I have now. Really, the brand is dependant on whatever is the best price and value for me. Usually I have to wait for a gun show to come around. Smaller town, so ammo selection is limited to what the stores carry. My HD Shotgun is Remington 870, old parkerized police gun, 18" with 4+1 and side saddle with six, tactical sling. The barrel is kept empty in the house. In the tube is alternating 12 gauge, 2 3/4 Low recoil 00 Buck (9 pellets) by Winchester and #4 shot, 2 3/4 shell by Winchester. On the side saddle, the first two are 00 Buck, second two are #4, and third set of two shells are Federal, 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/4 0z Rifled Slug (hollow point magnum). I know of a couple of guys that use #2 instead of #4, and that is their preference. The odds of a rifled slug shot in the house are slim but you never know.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

I keep 4 Federal Tactical 00 in the magazine of my 870. On the buttcuff I keep an additional 4 rounds plus 2 Winchester 1oz slugs.

I anticipate deploying my pistol first since it is within reach of my bed. The shotgun is there just in case...

If I end up running my shotgun dry in a shooting, all signs point to "get the hell away from this mess"!

I keep my Benelli M1 with 5 rounds of Federal Tactical 00 buck in the magazine and 1 on the carrier. The chamber is empty and I have 3 rounds of Fed Tac slugs (plus 3 more buck) on the sidesaddle. That way I can throw in a slug first if necessary.

John Francis

I use either 3" #4 Buckshot 41 pellets or 3" inch 00 buck 15 pellets. 5 rounds in a Mossberg 500 Mariner with an 18 1/2" barrel. I switch out the rounds every so often. ;)

------------------
Give me liberty or give me death !!

Stay alive, shoot a .45 !!

My Winchester 1300 Defender is loaded with 5 rounds of Winchester 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot followed by 2 rounds of Winchester 1oz slugs as the last two shots. 6 additional 00 Buck are in the sidesaddle. I selected the Winchester brand cause it was on sale at a local store. Chamber is empty on the gun so 1 rack (to scare anyone) and its ready to go.

Remington 2 3/4" reduced recoil 1oz rifled slugs for the farm house and Winchester 2 3/4" low recoil 9 pellet 00 buck loads for the Mossberg 500MILS. I got a lot of it cheap.

S&B 00 Buck. Cheap and shoot as well as anything else out of my 870. I prefer to use the same load for practice that I would use for HD. 2 boxes of S&B have worked fine so far, but if anyone knows of any reason not to use them I would like to hear it.

My Mossberg 500 (20" bbl, 7+1) is loaded with S&B 00-buck, 12 pellets. The Sidesaddle has 6 rounds of Winchester #1 buck, and the Speedfeed stock contains 4 Winchester 1 oz. slugs.

Federal 1 Buck in my Mossberg 500. 5 in the mag, 6 in the buttcuff.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson

I keep my 21" barrel Remingtom 1100 stoked with either Winchester or Remington 27 pellet 2 3/4" #4 Buckshot. Both of these loads pattern well at indoor ranges with the "Modified" tube in the barrel.

Neil Casper

I use #1 buck, Plated shot. Although I wouldn't feel undergunned in my home with a #4 3" turky load either. It depends alot on what type of walls a person has, How many people are in the house, etc...
Forget slugs! Inside a house, they will rip right through just abput any type of wall, even after going through a violent felon.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

My personal shotgun for defense is set up identical to the shotguns at work. Vang Comp Rem 870 w/ side saddle and standard length magazine. Tube loaded with four rounds of Federal H132 buck shot, then one more in side saddle, along with five rounds of Remington Reduced recoil slugs. Excellant performance from our guns, and the ammo is color coded, red for close and green for far, as some of our guys know zip about guns.

Kilroy...
...was here

My "social" load consists as follows:

For a Remington 870 Express:

4 rounds of 2 3/4 #6 High brass in the tube.
5 rounds of 00 buck in the carry band.

Logic is as follows:

I keep the gun in condition 3 for two main reasons:

1 - Guns without rounds in the chamber are much less likely to have an AD - although proper safety procedures must be followed.

2 - I've been told your average perp makes a new door in the house when you rack the gun at 2am, accompanied by an ugly threat. I see this as preventing a $10,000 legal bill by avoiding having to splatter the perp all over my living room...

Initial rounds of any engagement are likely to be inside the house at spitting distance, ergo the birdshot. It also allows other members of the household to handle the gun.

00 buck is intended in the event the fight moves outside or develops into a "situation" involving multiple adversaries...

Back