Surprised! Got an Ishipore for under $100, and it works pretty darn good.

Correia

I have been thinking about getting a beater rifle for some time now, you know something that you can get dirty or wet and not worry about.

I ordered an old .308 Ishipore (Indian Mk4 Enfield) from SOG. With shipping, tax, and the background check it was $94.

Mine was built in '66, and it was beat to hell. The wood was full of dings, but the metal looked good. Bore looked good. It was packed, and I mean packed, in cosmoline. I have named it "Big Ugly". It weighs a ton, I'm guessing 10 lbs, most of which is muzzle heavy. My arm gets tired shooting free hand after a few shots.

I wasn't expecting much, I just figured it would shoot. But surprisingly the accuracy wasn't bad. About a five inch group, keep in mind this is me shooting (I'm not really very good) open sighted. Action was pretty smooth too.

Its big, and its ugly, but if you can't kill whatever it is with 12 rounds of .308 you can turn the gun around and use it as a club. So if your looking for something cheap that you can beat the hell out of. I can't think of anything better. :)

The only thing that counts, really, is the bore. If the bore is good, that's as good as it'll get on a military rifle.

God invented hacksaws, rasps and sandpaper to make military stocks lighter--at little cost in $, just in sweat.

A competent machinist can cut the barrel back to 22" or even 20", and re-mount the front sight. A recoil pad in place of the steel butt plate will lighten the load a bit.

Have fun!

Art

I am currently overhauling a Ishapore 2A1 that has absolutely beautiful wood, new bore, tight headspacing, and a silky smooth action. Good guns for the price in my opinion.

------------------
"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

So where's the best place to get one of these Ishipores? Where'd you get yours, Correia?

------------------
Wound ballistics is the study of effects on the body produced by penetrating projectiles:
Wound Ballistics

Great daily commentary from a thoughtful Christian perspective:
Daily Commentary

adad, my local dealer had a catalog from S.O.G. Thats where I ordered mine from. It was the best price that I saw. There is also always some in the shotgun news. Also Navy arms, and Gibbs rifle carry a few different versions. www.gibbsrifle.com

A fellow IDPA shooter purchased a #5 Jungle Carbine from Navy Arms - beautiful gun. It's a refurbished #4 cut down to #5 length, stock cut down, and flash hider added. Caliber is .303 British.

Yesterday I ordered a #7 Jungle Carbine, essentially the same, but cut down from the slightly stronger Ishapore 2A action, in .308. Cost is $150 plus whatever your dealer tacks on.

These are the same rifles that Gibbs Rifle is selling.

Navy Arms can be reached at 201/945-2500.

Back