Surplus S&W 1917 Revolvers

don leo

Does anyone know the best source of military surplus S&W 1917 revolvers (best being the cheapest)? I'm looking to get a cheap 1917 in excellent mechanical condition for a customization project. Brazilian contract models are okay...

What do you plan to do? I have one, but not that I want to get rid of.

I have thought about cutting the barrel to 4 inches and putting on a new sight, but the $200 to do it is more than I paid for the gun.

Head Hunter,
I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it yet. Probably just refinishing it and replacing it with some target grips, but I've also toyed around with the idea of a PPC gun project --custom barrel with bomar rib, action job. I've heard that brazilian contract models can be had for around $150.00. Where?!?

The Brazilian contract revolvers were brought into the country almost 15 years ago and were selling around $130 at the time. I would be surprised if you could pick one up for $150 now, although I have been told they aren't as expensive as original 1917s.

J&G Sales in AZ was the source at that time. They don't list any now.

Check out the Thad Scott Fine Guns website.

Last time I was in his shop he had a nice brazilian contract M-1917 in good condition. Price was somewhat under $300.00, but not a lot.

Doc Hudson

Careful

The Brazilian contract M-1917 is not made to U.S. specifications. It is substantially weaker that the one issued to our troops.

I found that it will not take the same loads we use in a 1911 or other semi-auto.

don leo

I picked up a Brazilian S&W 1917 a few months ago. It was one I sold to a friend when I had my FFL in the early 90's. I bought 10 of them for $80 each. I sold 8 of them for $100 each and kept two, but as time passed I also sold them. A few months ago I was talking with the guy and asked if he still had that 1917 and he said yes and that he had never fired it. After a bit he asked if I was interested in buying it. I said yes if the price was right. He said that he had paid $100 for it and he would take the same amount back. I said do you want cash or a check. Luckly Me... There were several hundreds if not thousands of them sold. I am sure you will find one just keep looking. Check out gunsamerica.com I saw one posted there a few weeks back.

I have one I might sell

Don Leo:

I have a S&W m 1917 that I have had for a few years. The gun has been reparkerized and has pachmyer grips. Its a good shooter but has had less than 200 rounds through it since I bought(from a St. Louis gun shop) it as a back up to my 1911. Here in southeast MO and western KY these models are pretty rare to find. I looked for almost 4 years before I found this one. I have a new Mountain Gun in .45 acp so I don't really need this one. I would be willing to sell it for $200 plus half the tranfer costs of my dealer. If you are interested reach me at cgaira1@ldd.net

Back