Surplus police guns and criminals

DaleA

Many police departments sell their old firearms when they upgrade to new firearms. Some of these old firearms wind up in the hands of criminals.

CBS has done a report on this essentially saying that this a problem. That this feeds crime.

They tell about Cameron Brown, age 19, in Indianapolis, Indiana that was shot 4 times and killed by a gun sold by a sheriff's department in Stannis county, California.

The grieving mother of Brown is quoted as saying, "Another family lost another child at the hands of a firearm that shouldn't even be on the street."

CBS has the sheriff from Stannis county saying they are not responsible for the death.

CBS also shows that the city of Seattle, Washington, melts down their obsolete firearms instead of selling them to avoid this situation.

The CBS report is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REdT7thA88&t=86s

Seems like once again, they are blaming the gun, an inanimate object, instead of the person using it.

And if her son had been beat to death with a hammer, would she be screaming for their elimination?
And what exactly was her son doing that he was shot 4 times by a bad guy - drug deal gone bad?

Did the sheriffs department say that the gun was sold legally, through an FFL dealer, that the buyer filled out BATF forms and passed a back ground check? I’m assuming all this happened. Was the person who bought the gun the shooter?

I'm not aware of any PD that sells directly to anyone. If a department uses Glocks and upgrades to new Glocks the old pistols are traded back Glock.
They refurb them and then sell them to distributors.

It's not hard to find police trade-in Glocks out there at good prices. The process is no different than an individual buying any gun except that it was previously owned by a LE agency.

And it isn't putting any more guns on the street. By refurbing and selling old pistols it means fewer new guns manufactured and I'm sure it's pretty profitable for Glock to do this.

And I'm just using Glock as an example. Sig and other manufacturers do this too.

It really has nothing to do with police surplus guns except it is a clearly defined category to attack; like ARs and "high capacity magazines." Ban or at least demonize one category and move on to the next.

According to CBS and other news sources, we would live in a peaceful utopia if we could just ban gun ownership with the stroke of a pen. We need to ban cell phones completely from our schools and expand alternative education for those who cannot behave responsibly in regular education. The state average proficiency for math in Maryland is 19% and for reading California has about 33% of the adult population that is illiterate. Test scores for many schools show a proficiency of less than 30% and there is no accountability for kids who just guess on mandated tests they don't take seriously because they are so addicted to their smart phone and have the attention span of a house fly. With high school graduation rate above 90% a diploma is nothing more than a participation award and grades are only loosely correlated to a person's abilities. Even colleges are lowering their standards because of the lack of academic achievement by youth while academic dishonesty spreads. We have schools where 100 percent of students get free lunch while carrying $1000 phones and more than half of the food goes to the trash while the kids bring junk food to eat. The same people crafting gun control laws are those who have been so successful tackling food insecurity and our current border policy.

Well it sure didn't take long for the CBS/WCCO report to have an effect.

The report was broadcast Wednesday, May 15, 2024 here in the Twin Cities Minnesota and the next day the Minneapolis Chief of Police announced they will no longer sell their firearms.

Police Chief Brian O'Hara in Minneapolis took a stronger stance. This month, he made a change to stop selling or trading the department's guns.
"I don't want to sell any firearm back to an FFL, and that's my policy going forward. I'm going to put that in writing today," O'Hara said.

You can read about it here:
https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/n...-selling-used-guns-common-practice-minnesota/

It must be remembered that Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin was convicted of the murder of George Floyd and the Minneapolis Police Department is currently working under a Consent Decree and their procedures are being monitored.

https://mn.gov/mdhr/mpd/agreement/#...ement requires,to address race-based policing.

https://www.mprnews.org/episode/2024/03/11/police-reform-is-coming-to-minneapolis

Virtue Signaling at its finest.

Many police departments sell their old firearms when they upgrade to new firearms. Some of these old firearms wind up in the hands of criminals.

CBS has done a report on this essentially saying that this a problem. That this feeds crime.

They tell about Cameron Brown, age 19, in Indianapolis, Indiana that was shot 4 times and killed by a gun sold by a sheriff's department in Stannis county, California.

The grieving mother of Brown is quoted as saying, "Another family lost another child at the hands of a firearm that shouldn't even be on the street."

CBS has the sheriff from Stannis county saying they are not responsible for the death.

CBS also shows that the city of Seattle, Washington, melts down their obsolete firearms instead of selling them to avoid this situation.

The CBS report is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REdT7thA88&t=86s

Seems like once again, they are blaming the gun, an inanimate object, instead of the person using it.

Firearms - don't aim and fire themselves.

These people are mystical morons.

Red

Well it sure didn't take long for the CBS/WCCO report to have an effect.

The report was broadcast Wednesday, May 15, 2024 here in the Twin Cities Minnesota and the next day the Minneapolis Chief of Police announced they will no longer sell their firearms.

You can read about it here:
https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/n...-selling-used-guns-common-practice-minnesota/

Dale.......it just shows that the Mpls/St. Paul area has fallen into total disarray and failure.

So now we have a totally dysfunctional area with enough votes to control elections of governors/atty generals etc. to dominate the entire state.

A dysfunctional area that has the population and votes to pass laws that take away the rights, freedoms and abilities to make a living from rural people and tax them unfairly.

There IS a solution.

The Founding Fathers foresaw this problem in presidential elections.

They realized they had to protect the more rural states because the heavily populated urban states could dominate them and oppress them if they were allowed to pick the president.

This was a balance of power issue.

So the Founding Fathers created the Electoral College.

NOW........what we must do is adopt a system where STATEWIDE elections inside each state are made fair.

The votes of urban voters must be prorated to keep the power of rural voters equal to urban voters--so that no one is disenfranchised.

But.........Good luck with that because the URBAN voters already control most states.

The wisdom of the Founding Fathers exists only in the mists of the past.

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

Fine if you're with the majority, not so much, if you're not.

We have boatloads of laws passed by the major urban power blocks in several states. Approved by people who have no actual stake in the matter, but DO have an "equal voice".

The Founders created a REPUBLIC, and as Franklin is reported to have said, "if you can keep it.."

NO police agency is going to sell any guns to anyone other than in full compliance with existing law.

Half a century ago, it was not uncommon for police to sell "crime guns" when they had a bunch and the cases were resolved. I'm talking about legal guns, used in, or recovered at crime scenes. These were usually sold at auction, mostly to FFL dealers, though sometimes private buyers were allowed. ALL LAWS WERE OBEYED.

Do they happen to tell when the CA Sherriff sold the gun? Or any mention of how it wound up in the hands of a killer in Indiana? How many legal owners it might have passed through? How the killer got it?? Was the killer the legal owner of the gun?? was it a stolen gun? Perhaps a gun stolen a decade or more ago?? LITTLE DETAILS like these MATTER.

The Sheriff is entirely, and 100% correct, they are not responsible for the death, the killer who pulled the trigger is.

Here in Texas there is whining about a company that destroys buy-backs/PD turn-ins at no cost to the PD, selling the used parts without the frame. "Parts Guns" ready to be made back into a real firearm. "Zombie Guns".

It's all in the contract and the company makes their money by selling the parts. No company is going to shred a gun "for free".

PDs that shred turn-ins and evidence guns then need more public funding, which nobody seems to want to provide.

PDs that shred turn-ins and evidence guns then need more public funding, which nobody seems to want to provide.

Perhaps because they used their money for stupid schtuff, like shredding guns??

I know I won't give the police who do that any money out of my personal pocket, and I do dislike it when my tax dollars are wasted in that manner.

Here's a thought, tell the chief, or commissioner, or councilman/person pushing that idea, that the cost of shredding the guns will be deducted from THEIR personal paychecks, and see how fast they stop pushing the idea...:rolleyes:

Back