Surplus Mauser/Mosin

Bafuse

Inactive
I'm looking to get a rifle for under $100 and from what I've heard a Mosin or Mauser would be my best bet. Where's the best place to get one and how much is ammo usually?

Depends on where you live. Around here the farm and ranch stores that have sporting good sections will normally have a few Mosins as well as the local gun shops will sometimes have one or two. I haven't ever seen a mauser for sale that wasn't at a gun show but maybe that is just the local.

Besides mosins being cheaper, surplus ammo for the mosin is much cheaper also.

However, If I run across a good unmodified mauser I'm getting it. Already have a Mosin.

Until this summer a local department store used to sell M91/30 round receiver Mosin Nagants on sale for $100 out the door. Since then, their numbers have been dwindling and they never go on sale anymore. You can get one for $120 out the door now.

Surplus Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R ammo is plentiful and cheap. I can buy 440 rounds in a spam can at the department store for $85 on sale. It has copper washed steel casings and is corrosive. You have to clean the rifle after you shoot, but it is no big deal.

Mausers? Well you are moving further upscale with those. You can expect to pay three or four times what you will pay for a common M91/30 Mosin Nagant. Maybe more depending on condition and German markings. No way you are going to get a decent Mauser for less than $100.

I was lucky to get an almost new Yugo M48 Mauser from a friend for $200 because he wanted to thin out his collection. M48s are based on the German K98k design and were made in the 1950s in Yugoslavia using German tooling. They look almost identical to the K98k. My friend threw in over 200 rounds of ammo and lots of brass stripper clips into the deal. I couldn't pass it up. Those kind of deals don't come along very often. It is a great rifle and very accurate. I recommend it if you can save up the cash to pay a little more.

Your cheapest bet on a mauser would be a turk. You may be able to find a beater with a good bore for a little over a hundred. I've seem them sell that cheap but not very often. I got a turked 98/22 for $150 and it's the best shooter I have. Can't go wrong with a mosin though unless you get a bad bore.

I haven't seen Turks for a while.

Mauser choices are kind of limited these days.

JG Has Yugo 24/47s (straight bolt) for $200-$220

SOG has the same rifle for $195, plus Yugo M48 (bent bolt) for $270 and
Czech VZ-24 7MM for 160. (looks kind of rough, may need stock repairs)

Samco has a few options in Yugo 24/47s, including one option with a bent bolt for $190-220, plus the Swedes I mentioned before, Persians, and Spanish Mausers converted to .308 (which I personally wouldn't own, it is a small ring action and marginal for .308)

Sarco has Yugo 24/47 and M48 for $145, and Yugo reworked German K98s for 160. http://www.sarcoinc.com/11-01-11_gunpages.pdf

Back