Surplus M1s--the real deal?

Copythat

I was flipping through Guns magazine during lunch and actually looked at those classified ads in the back. There's one that says "M1 Garands for sale by US government" The deal is you send $5, you get info on how to get one. The address is at MacDill Air Force Base. Are these guys for real? Has anyone ever bought an M1 this way?

Probably what they are going to do is send you the address of the CMP and charge you 5 bucks for it. If you are interested here is their address on the internet for FREE. :D

http//www.odcmp.com

I tried to click and drag the link but it did not work so i just typed it in. Clicking on it will not work so just type it into your browser and go there.

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited March 22, 2000).]

I have not contacted the person at MacDill.

However, I suspect that Southla1 is correct, and that all you will get is CMP applications which you can pull off their site for free. There are similar ads for surplus military equipment, and what they send is a list of surplus sales and auction sites that GSA will send out for the asking.

Technically, there is probably nothing illegal here as long as the guy sends the info and doesn't just take the money. But illegal and misleading are two different things. Here is a story I told on another site.

Advertisement is for book on "How to Make Money" for $5.00. People send off $5 and receive a three page "book". First page has title, last page is blank back cover. Middle page reads "How to make money: Sell books like this to suckers like you."

When the seller was taken to court, the judge, after he stopped laughing, ruled that there was no fraud; the book delivered on its promise.

Jim

There are some requirements to get one of these...you must be a member of an NRA affiliated shooting organization (check the website in the above post for the accepted ones, its really inexpensive to join one), and you must have shown you have shot 50 rounds *somewhere* with proof...usually if you go to a shooting range and get the range officer to sign off on letterhead that you shot 50 rounds of something, or include range and ammo receipts, they will accept it.

Their customer service organization is very good...email them if you have any questions *prior* to sending in your paperwork to make sure everything is in order.

Also, the forms ask for your social security number, but you don't need to supply it...however, by not supplying it, they can't really track your order, and it can take a few weeks to get the rifle.

I got a GREAT one made in 1944. Genuine history, well worth doing.

[This message has been edited by Forseti (edited March 22, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forseti:
There are some requirements to get one of these...you must be a member of an NRA affiliated shooting organization (check the website in the above post for the accepted ones, its really inexpensive to join one), and you must have shown you have shot 50 rounds *somewhere* with proof...[/quote]

The cost to be a member of the Louisiana Shooting Assn. (CMP affiliated) is 10 bucks a year...dirt cheap!!!!! and if one does not want to fire the 50 rounds or have proof of the firing of them a copy of your DD-214 (Vets discharge papers) is acceptable in lieu of the 50 rounds

------------------
Carlyle

Getting there Carlyle. ;) You left off the commands at the end of the bold print & quote. I fixed it... tis all better now.

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited March 23, 2000).]

Back