Surplus 9mm's

spawndn72

Classic firearms has:
S&W 5906 - $299
Beretta 92s - $299
Star BM - $179

For a range toy, which would you get.
Looking for something comfortable to shoot that my wife might like as well.

The Star BM was a good gun, steel frame. The one I had in the 80s was very good and reliable.
I would personally lean towards the Beretta, I just like it more then the other two choices.

The Beretta is probably the 92s and has dinky sights and mag release in the lower part of the grip. Both the Beretta and S&W are double action on first shot and have aluminum frames as well as double stack large capacity mags. The Star pistol is an all steel single action pistol with a single stack mag that holds half of the capacity of the other pistols, so your choice should take these issues into consideration.

Well if your wife happens to have small hands like mine, the star with it's more narrow grip and single action trigger might suit her better. The others have quite large grip circumferences and larger trigger reach. I don't own one, just an observation.

The Beretta is probably the 92s and has dinky sights and mag release in the lower part of the grip. Both the Beretta and S&W are double action on first shot and have aluminum frames as well as double stack large capacity mags. The Star pistol is an all steel single action pistol with a single stack mag that holds half of the capacity of the other pistols, so your choice should take these issues into consideration.
The 5906 has a steel frame.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks, everyone. Went to my LGS this morning and ending up going a completely different direction.
I got a Gen 5 Glock 19. LOL

The S&W is a more robust pistol so if putting a bunch of rounds through the pick, I'd go with that one.
The BM is more of a compact carry gun that is a good choice for that purpose if you can live with "cocked and locked" carry. I carried one of these for years in a horizontal shoulder holster.
I have no use for the Beretta--grip's too big and gun is clumsy to handle IMHO.

About a year ago, I picked up one of the police trade in 92's in a trade. I have owned a couple of Beretta pistols in the past, was never a real big fan, This was my first 92, and Ive really come to like them. Soft, accurate shooters, even with the smaller "GI 1911" type sights. Great DA trigger. The mag release isnt an issue at all, and mags are readily available. Many of the new mags still have the cutout for the 92's.

I ended up getting a FS and M9 not long after.

In the same trade as the 92, I picked up an S&W 4506 in great shape. I never was a S&W auto fan either, and while it was a good gun, and no problems (other than mag prices), and shot well, Im still not an S&W auto fan. :)

I got rid of it for another Glock that came along a short while later.

Between the two above, Id go with the 92.

Ive also owned a number of Star handguns in the past. They were all good guns, and Im sure the ones listed above would be good shooters, but a lack of parts and mags would put them at the bottom of the list for me.

The earlier Glock generations are really cheap nowadays, so if they fit one's hand - they are a good choice. I'd go for a standard brand rather than a Star. If a standard goes belly up, easier to get parts. SW doesn't support the 3rd gen semis anymore, I think, so that would be a consideration if you need a part.

Idk enough about 92's to say $300 is a good price for a used one, but Taurus PT92's are about the same price new. IMO, surplus 9's are too high in price to justify, but surplus .40's are a bargain.

For $350, a police trade Glock 9mm is better than the S&W, Beretta, or Star, IMO. More of a known quantity.

Congrats on the new Gen 5 Glock 19! :) IMO a terrific pistol. Only reason I have not bought one is I still CCW my Gen 2 Glock 19 I bought new in the early 90s.

Back