SureFire Responder Q

JNewell

OK, dumb question probably, but I can't figure out from any of the web pages what the difference between the Responder with the constant on/momentary on switch (618F) and the model with the disable switch (618G).

Any help appreciated!

John,

The F and the G Responders use the same switch (i.e., an on/off rocker switch) mounted in the same position. Only difference is that the F switch is wired in parallel with the momentary switch, while the G switch is wired in series.

Therefore, throwing either switch (momentary or rocker) on the F Responder will turn on the light. Throwing the momentary switch on the G Responder without throwing the rocker switch will not turn on the light -- both the rocker and momentary switches must be activated otherwise the light will not turn on.

(I hope the above is right, as you know we attorneys don't get to use our electrical engineering training very much).

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

BTW, John,

Botach Tactical is having a sale on Surefire products. They now offer the 618F for something ridiculously low like $215.

http://botachtactical.com/surfirremsho.html

Be very careful when ordering from these guys. They have kick-ass prices but their customer service apparently seems a bit spotty.

Whatever you do, call up first and make sure they have that particular model in stock. If they don't have it, don't order from them. Order only using their web site. And it can't hurt to call a day or two afterwards if you don't receive the confirmation e-mail to make sure they got your order.

I'm sure you've heard all the Botach horror stories before but I am 4/4 ordering from them in the above fashion. Nevertheless, I still disclaim all damages, consequential or otherwise, foreseen or unforeseen, from the hassles you may have to endure if you order from Botach. :)

Justin

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited June 10, 2000).]

Thanks for the replies. Um, us attys -- our electrical training? Mine goes back to working in a garage in the early 70s in high school! OK, lemme cut to the chase: IYNSHO, do you agree with my guess that the F is the better setup (less room for tactical foul-up)? Yes, actually my Q was prompted by the sale email.

Yes, Wayne at LP is a prince. I try to buy SureFire from him always. I will admit to buying one SureFire from Botach when they had a one-day $80 sale on the M2 light; too good to pass up. I've bought a few things from them and actually have had quite good luck, but I've heard all the horror stories. Justin's suggestion has also been my approach, and it's worked well. I got a pair of boots from them once that arrived defective, and they were extremely good about arranging replacement and refund.

[This message has been edited by JNewell (edited June 10, 2000).]

Yes, for social uses I prefer the F models over the G models.

The utility of the F model is that you can have one hand free and still have your light shining. The prototypical situation is if you've confronted a goblin in a low-light situation and you've got him at gunpoint. You pick up the phone to call the police -- but which hand to use? Use your non-dominant hand, your light goes out and goblin rushes you. Use your dominant hand, the goblin knows you cannot fire so he rushes you. Having a constant on/off switch solves this problem.

Also, consider if you need your light if you are using your non-dominant hand to open doors, guide non-combatants into your saferoom, etc. Makes sense to me.

Now the G models do have their utility. Much like the disable on your M500A, you can minimize the number of white-light ADs. But all Responders come with a metal blocker for the momentary switch, free of charge -- unlike the M500A. You peel off the adhesive and stick the metal blocker (which covers only part of the momentary switch) on the switch pad. Works rather well, although I've never tried one on a pump gun (my 617F Responder is on my Benelli).

Justin

Justin, thanks for the confirmation -- that was how I saw it, but I've never used one of the Responder setups. (I have used a M500_, and have been frustrated using in shoothouse situations because of it's off-center mounting, but that's a different discussion.) I will likely order one of the F models for my 870.

JNewell

I second the guy who says to buy from lagger-pro. Their prices are fair, customer service is excellent, shipping times are fast. And FREE shipping and handling in the domestic US. That alone saved me 8 bucks off the price a tac sling for my M1S90.

Back