SureFire G2Z Bk

mec

This is a polymer version of the Popular Z2 Combat light. Qualitative differences appear to be nil even though this model at $75 is five dollars cheaper than the original.
The advertized 60 Lumens seems to be about as bright as the old Sealed beam spots we used to plug into the cigarette lighter jack. It has some value as a hand-held Flash/Bang and is no doubt impressive in that role when fitted with the accessor that doubles the light output while reducing the battery life from 60 to 30 minutes.

It weights just over 4 oz and at less than 5" loa, it is a handy package. The button switch is located at the back of the case making it equally suited to the Harris method and what SureFire calls the Rogers SureFire Method that appears to be geared toward the isoseles stance.

The unit also has a continuous beam setting and is clutz-friendly in that there is a locking mode which, when engaged,positively prevents leaving the thing on by accident.

It runs on two discardable Lithium batteries which are relatively expensive to replace but offer a ten year shelf-drawer life in the inert state.
All in all, the recent industry hoorah about the SureFire lights seems to be well justified.

Last edited:
Lock-out Tailcap?

Okay, folks, maybe I'm just stoopid, but...

I've got two Surefire models; the 6Z and the E2. Both of them advertise the lock-out tailcap, but the only way I see to lock them out is to turn the tailcap almost all the way off. And even then, on the E2, the switch still works albeit with some difficulty.

So... is there some trick I haven't been able to figure out (and the documentation with both sure doesn't explain it), or is my E2 defective???

Slish,

Your Classic 6Z and E2 did not have SureFire's LockOut TailCaps (LOTCs).
The current versions do - the Z2 & E2(e).

LOTCs are available for both your SureFires.

The Classic 6Z uses the Z41.

The E2-HA (Hard Anodised) uses the Z52.

If you have an E2-GM (silver), it uses the Z53.
If you have an E2-BK (black), it uses the Z54.

These can be ordered from your friendly SureFire Dealer or direct from SureFire (800-828-8809).

If your SureFire E2 manual says it has a LOTC but you have one that doesn't (there was a switch to the LOTC), this is a matter which I hope SureFire Customer Service will sort out for you.

The way to see if you have a LOTC is by unscrewing the TailCap from the flashlight body. If the metal contact switch (with the spring attached to it) falls out of the TailCap, it is an old version. The LOTCs are a single unit that do not come to bits (please don't attempt to unscrew the hex bolt under the contact spring). This means that the LOTCs are sealed and waterproof.

The LOTC will disable the pressure switch of your SureFire TailCap if you unscrew the TailCap about one full turn from fully screwed on (constant-on output). Current SureFires have idents on the body and LOTC allowing you to easily line up the TailCap for momentary-on use or to lock them out for transport and storage.

Regarding the G2Z -

The G2Z has a Pyrex lens which allows the use of the P61 High Output Lamp Assembly (HOLA). The Lexan lens in the Z2 could melt or be damaged by extended constant-on use of the P61. The Pyrex lens of the G2Z also makes it more watertight.

The G2Z is made of Nitrolon - a polymer that is amazingly tough and doesn't damage easily. It is easy and secure to grip without being tacky like rubber. The G2Z won't snag or drag when pulled out of your pocket or pouch like some other two-cell brands do.
The Nitrolon is light-weight and gives the Lamp Assembly more shock protection because it absorbs impact vibrations.

The G2Z comes in black with the standard P60 Lamp Assembly, a TailCap Lanyard, LockOut TailCap and Anti-roll "hex" Bezel - these features are common with the Aluminium Z2.

A few months ago, I field-tested the G2Z. After many drops and kicking it about a lot, I found it to be almost as tough as the King of the two-cells, the M2. I am very impressed by the G2Z's ability to take abuse and keep shining. I was not able to blow it's P60 Lamp.

I have photos of the G2Z I've field-tested. If you'd like me to send you them, please email me size15s@ntlworld.com

Respectfully,

Al

P.S.
I have a G2Z inbound from "The Prince" because I want to replace one of my G2's. It's a fantastic flashlight.

Here's a photo I took of the G2Z and the G2:
fd54d4ca.jpg

While I'm posting photos, this one is pretty cool:
fd460904.jpg

Respectfully,

Al

size15, glad to see you here sorting things out! didn't know you cruised the gun boards too.:)

go over to bladeforums when you're done, there are some sf myths going around.:eek:

Thanks for the headsup!

BladeForums is down right now. I will be heading there when I see it's back up.

I go where the light takes me...

Respectfully,

Al

vs. scorpion

depends on usage.

also the scorpion does NOT have the lockout feature .

it is as bright as a 6P, about the same physical footprint. however it can be upwards of 30.00 less.

also I find the 'lightfall' output from the surefire is cleaner than the scorpion, however thats a moot point if you are using the light as a distraction device.

The button switch is located at the back of the case making it equally suited to the Harris method...

It's spelled Harries, and was named after the departed (and sorely missed) Michael Harries, the inventor of that technique.

Back