Surefire Defender and accessories

Normalizer

Just picked up a SureFire defender tactical flashlight this week and the accesories to mount it on my Colt Sporter.

The flashlight itself is amazing, just barely longer than my hand and at least as powerful as my big maglight. The switch is on the backend of the light and rests right under your thumb, works perfect in my left hand with my USP in my right. Cost was $100, high but a quality piece.

The AR-15 mount was $100 as well, too much in my opinion but it's a specialty item and design is fantastic. Very easy to install, looks "correct", and rock solid sturdy.

I also bought the extended on/off switch at $169 and it is a disapointment to say the least. It consists of a rocker switch, extended body piece for adding a 3rd battery, and velcro for securing the switch to the body of the rifle. The supplied velcro does NOT adhere to the AR's handguards, glue will have to be used (at least on mine). The switch itslf is fine, no complaints, but the additional battery has burnt out 2 brand new stock bulbs the first time they were turned on. We tested it out initially at the gun shop and it burnt the first bulb, we assumed it was just a fluke. The second light worked perfect so I made my purchase and went home to install it on my rifle. The moment I turned mine on it burnt it out.

I'll be returning it all first thing monday for a refund, possibly exchanging it for the AR specific system itself if it seems to work better.

I liked the light itself, have allready placed an order for the USP addon Surefire makes, but the extended switch (in my experiece yesterday) is poorly thought out. We went over the instructions several times and there are no mentions of overloading the bulb or heavier duty ones being available.

Something sounds fishy about that 3rd battery bit. If that battery is being added in series, then a totally different bulb must be used. 9 volts are going to kill a 6v bulb in no time. I suspect you'll need to order the correct bulb for that setup.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ivanhoe:
Something sounds fishy about that 3rd battery bit. If that battery is being added in series, then a totally different bulb must be used. 9 volts are going to kill a 6v bulb in no time. I suspect you'll need to order the correct bulb for that setup.

[/quote]

You know, that didn't even occur to me... I'll check all the paperwork and see if there is any mention of this, if not they need to add it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ivanhoe:

[/quote]

You know, that didn't even occur to me... I'll check all the paperwork and see if there is any mention of this, if not they need to add it.

Took my stuff back today, turned out the guy who sold it all to me sold me stuff that wasn't compatible. I ended up swapping it out for the AR-15 specific light built into replacement handguards... VERY nice unit, I love it! Only problem, I bought a round handguard set and I have the triangular set.... it's always something.... will go and swap the handguards out tomorrow.

The set is very high quality, switches are well laid out and work fantasticly, and the light is super bright. I am very happy with it, which I better be.... nearly $400 for what amounts to a flashlight. :)

Back