Sure-fire clip for shotgun?

Coronach

I think someone once mentioned something like this on this board, but I could not find it via search.

On-duty I carry a Surefire 9Z and an issued shotgun. Trouble is, there is no weapon-mounted light on the shotgun and we're not allowed to modify the issued guns (*sigh* The HQ weenies only recently allowed us to add a butt-cuff of our own purchasing to the guns. Admin types- go figure). Also, I'm not really interested in dropping such a large sum of money on a fairly fragile object that WILL be abused by my 3rd and first shift counterparts, and anyone else that ends up playing with the shotgun (fellow LEOs, you know what I mean).

I was wondering if there was any sort of 'clip' that could be used to attach my 9z to the barrel, just in front of the mag endcap. That way, if I had time, I could clip on the 9z before I need it and take it off afterwards.

Yeah yeah, NOT ideal...but better than trying to hold a shotgun and a light simultaneously.

Thoughts?

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

If not, a little creativity and magnets, electrical tape,etc, could give you something worthwhile and still be within regs, or at least not flamboyantly violating them.

Yeah, I'm aware that recoil-induced bulb breakage would be a factor...I mean, its a factor in permanently-mounted units, too, so it certainly would be on anything impromptu like I'm discussing. The whole set-up however, is far from ideal, and I'm of the mind that something that will survive up to the first shot is better than nothing at all.

What I was thinking was something that would be even less permanent than what Erick mentioned (would be nice not to have to unscrew the cap), and I would like something MORE solid than what Dave McC suggested...plus my Sgt would have a herd of small cattle if he saw adhesives being applied to an issued shotgun (*sigh*).

Thanks for the suggestions, though. The search continues.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Get one of the shotgun extended magazine tube sling swivel clamps. I see them at gunshows all the time. Brownells most likely has them also. Use it with a pressure pad then just unscrew it at the end of your shift. It most likely won't pattern exactly in line with your shotgun but it should be close enough.
I've got several sets of them laying around still, I believe.

Greetings,

I got a clamp at cheaperthandirt.com that works pretty well. No torture test yet, though.

try:

SHT-095.jpg

product number SHT-095, Barrel Mount UBM-4, fits magazine tubes up to 1" and flashlight up to 1". Attaches with two hex screws in about 60 seconds. $17.97.

Good luck and stay safe,

Ledbetter

LEDBETTER! What kind of beer do you drink? I owe you a sixer, at least :) That is EXACTLY what I was envisioning.

Thanks!

Mike

------------------

Coronach,

Glad to be of help. Be sure you test the light out with a few duty rounds to make sure it won't fail on you when Mr. Murphy comes around. I just got mine and haven't fired any rounds yet. Please be safe. That is all the thanks I need.

Regards,

Ledbetter

I have seen a surefire mount that slides into one of the reciever shell holders. If you have a reciever (StarTac) shell holder it is a good solution.

Ben

DOesn't Surefire make a different lamp assy for their lights that is specifically for weapon mounted lights? It is beefed up to handle the recoil without breaking.

[This message has been edited by Intel6 (edited October 24, 2000).]

Yup :) I'm not sure what is different, if its the lamp, bezel or what, but they do. Heck, as often as I drop my 9z, I might as well invest in that anyway. Already blew one lamp that way.

Mike

------------------

Bennett Richards,

I recall that the product you mention is made by Pachmeyer and is also carried by cheaperthandirt, but they don't show an illustration. Slips into an empty cartridge slot and locks with a screw.

Regards

The shock resistant part is the bezel. I forget the model designation, but it is the same bezel used on the L60 module. The shock-resistant bezel incorporates a rubber cushion to protect the lamp from recoil.

Be aware that swapping your stock bezel for the shock-resistant one will not solve all your recoil related problems, especially with the heavy recoil of a 12 bore.

One must also consider the recoil slamming the batteries into the lamp assembly. The Surefire Responder fixes this problem by machining a "shoulder" into the light body, which prevents the batteries from moving too far forward to damage the lamp assembly. If you remove the cap, the bezel and the lamp on your 9Z, you can drop a battery straight through the light body because it lacks the special shoulder found on the Responder.

Lastly, in multiple cell models like the 6P/Z or 9P/Z, the batteries can slam into each other and fail. The Responder solves this problem by utilizing special shrink-wrapped cells, which include recoil-absorbing buffers between the cells and special contacts on each end of the cell.

So figure by the time you make all the above modifications, you've spent more than a Responder. :)

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Justin-

You are correct, of course, but there is no way I'd be allowed to put a Responder on my issued shotgun, and even if I was, there still is no way I would since I'm only there 40 hours a week, and that light would be destroyed inside of a month by the tender minstrations of my coworkers. ;)

So its half-assed or no ass at all, it seems, and half-assed wins. ;) Like I said before, if it survives up to the first shot, its better than the alternative.

Thanks for the replies!

Mike

------------------

I recall there's another light...TAC-M? Anyway, at the SHOT show in '99, the spokesman was saying that it held up to shock better. It's a little cheaper, I think, and should also fit that clamp- which I would advise getting "butterfly" type screws for, so you could add or remove without tools.

Good thread; good responses. Here's some related info I found...

A sort-of-informational photo of the Kydex light clip:
http://stellarrigs.com/Stellar_Tactical_Gear.html

TacStar sidesaddle light mount (as well as TACMIII's setup) here...use the "browse by category" pull-down window tab and pick Lights/Flashlights:
http://www.deltaforce.com/index2.htm

Another TacStar rig:
http://www.fortplumlee.com/access/tacstar_light_index.html

[This message has been edited by mib2000 (edited November 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by mib2000 (edited November 05, 2000).]

Hey, if anyone tries out the Stellar light clip rig, would you be sure and post a review? This might be the hot (cheap) set up IF it works.

------------------
Shamans emerge whenever certain needs remain unanswered...Mark Levy

Greets,

I tried out the clamp from cheaperthandirt.com referred to in my post above (product number SHT-095, Barrel Mount UBM-4, fits magazine tubes up to 1" and flashlight up to 1". Attaches with two hex screws in about 60 seconds. $17.97.)

The mount stayed on the gun, securely attached, through 25 rounds of #8 birdshot and 20 Remington Reduced Recoil slugs. No Loc-Tite was used. Flashlight used was a Streamlight Scorpion mounted at the bottom front of the 8-round mag tube of a Mossberg 590A1. Light and bulb still functional after testing. Note that the Scorpion is rubber soated. YMMV.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Back