supressors and washington state

jules

Inactive
let me first say, it is my understanding that in washington state (through several legal hoops)it is legal to own a supressor, but it is illegal to use it.
my question is, can anybody tell me why? why is it that my state thinks that this is any sort of good idea? is there some aspect that i just dont see?
it seems that it would have been easy to make the law either "supressors are illegal you cannot own them" or "legal to own, legal to use (with all the right paperwork of course)" but instead they come up with this in between idea that is just pointless.

let me just put it out there that i dont have a need for, nor do i intend to buy a supressor. i just find the topic really intriguing.

I can't speak for Washington State specifically. However silencers were put into the NFA at the request of the Department of Natural Resources in order to minimize poaching. Originally, the National Firearms Registry as proposed was for all concealable weapons, which included handguns. In the 11th hour, handguns were removed from the registry status, and silencers were added. It seems to me that the law in Washington State is just poorly written, and puts a blanket "NO USE" instead of a "legal use" kind of language in the law. (Again, just an un-educated guess.)

jules said:
let me just put it out there that i dont have a need for, nor do i intend to buy a supressor

It's un-civilized to shoot un-suppressed. ;) I like being a good neighbor and keeping my noise to a minimum.:D

Correct....

For Washington State... you can own (with proper papers) but you can't shoot it.

As to why? Just how WA law dictates... hopefully for now. There is a bill in the state capitol that may fix this...

You might want to check the new WA state firearm forum...
http://www.waguns.org/

Starts up Monday, March 21, 2011. It has a section that covers suppressors, laws, history and basic information, etc

From what I learned at 1 Senate and 1 House hearing, the wa law stems from a 1934 poaching law. Hopefully that will chage some time in the next few weeks. The House bill (H1016) passed 88 to 4. It is now in the Senate for a second read with a "Do Pass" attached to it.

While I am behind the SBR/SBS passing next I would expect 1 hell of a fight on this and also don't expect the backing of the Police and Sherfff's on this one like we had on the suppressor bill.

The bill was signed on Monday 4/11/11. It goes into effect 90 days after the session ends on July 23.

Ranb

Back