Supressor stag photos, woo-hoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mort

I just picked up the latest copy of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement. Anyone that has it, check out page 34; what's going on here? There's a fellow shooting a Walther P99 with an AWC suppressor, and he's got a big black rectangle superimposed over his eyes, like in a stag film or something! Later, there are pictures of another shooter firing the same 99 sans suppressor; no rectangle.

Does anyone have a clue why this is?

[This message has been edited by Mort (edited August 05, 1999).]

Don't have the mag but I can venture a guess.

Might be he is a LE type that works undercover. What does the article/photo caption say... anything about the use of the AWC. If I was working undercover I would not want my photo in G&WLE.

Common sense should have told you this.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Common sense? Perhaps I don't know much about the machinations of undercover cops (I do, but never mind).

The caption says nothing about the rectangle, nor does the article. I wouldn't have started the thread if the caption had said "This fellow has a rectangle superimposed over his eyes because..."

The picture is your usual "range shot", you know. Why would any undercover cop have posed for such? And honestly, he doesn't strike me as the type.

Maybe he simply refused to sign the photo release for the mag but they wanted to use the shot anyway.

Mort: The most likely reason is that the magazine wanted the shots to look "sexy" for its readers.

I'd be willing to bet you a cold one that the shooter in the picture was one of the writer's buds. If he was really a LEO who is currently working plain clothes on a drug detail or something like that, it's understandable...but probably not the case.

Mike

Yeah, the guy that is, "rectangled" looks like some old geezer. I'm sure they do this to make the mag appear high speed/low drag.

Notice that every item advertised in these magazines are, not just "black", but "SWAT Black"? Every static display of the pistol always has a badge or "police" hat, a folding knife (half open, of course), and some other cliché crap? Nearly every gun has all manner of accessories strapped to them in impossible configuration that negate any advantage of a small, handy, weapon.

Yes, and it's especially true of the AR's! Just think of the millions of dollars and many sleepless nights the design people and Mr. Stoner must have spent trimming every single excess fraction of an ounce off the rifle, and all the "improvements" that have happened since have added weight! The civillian HBAR weighs damn near as much as an M1 Garand!

If I am going to carry a 9 pound rifle, it's going to be in a major caliber, like an FN-FAL. On the other hand, in a 6-7 pound rifle, the .223 is just right. The modern AR with all the options is just perfect for someone with delusions of adequacy who has watched too much TV. Advertising has lots of people believing they can have something for nothing, and it is no more true now than it ever was. All you have to do to sell some new accessory these days is paint it black and call it "tactical" and they will stand in line to buy them. Barnum was right, there really is one born every minute.

The stripped down old SP-1 will do everything these hot-rodded "swiss army rifles" will do, and it's about 3 pounds lighter to boot, thereby closer to the principle of a real "assault rifle".It's also about a third of the price. A 9 pound AR would be a main battle rifle in a light caliber, and that just doesn't make sense.

IMO, put the money you save by buying an older, lighter, rifle into practice ammo and you'll come out far ahead. Be smart, not sexy in your choice of rifles.

Ok, I got my Nomex on, flame away!
(BTW, it ain't black!)

Mike: I think you're right. The rectangle makes them look daring, I suppose. For those who never got to be a secret agent, GWLE can stick you in an article doing a super-secret evaluation of a suppressed pistol. Gunsite hat with tactical bird optional.

> Gunsite hat with tactical bird optional.

Hey... I got one of those. Don't have a suppressed pistol but will a suppressed AR do? :D

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

artech: You're right...it's amazing how much money is spent and sweat expended in carrying a rifle/pistol/shotgun loaded down with accessories that will (most likely) never be used except under the most trying of circumstances.

Back in the early 90s at Ft. Bragg one of the most popular cartoons seen on the walls of team rooms, and on BBs in the halls of JFKSWCS was one of a brand, spanking new SF A Det Cdr...a Captain. The lad would be loaded down with an absof&%$#*!lutely HUGE ruck, assault tactical vest w/shoulder holster, knife, carabiners, rope, etc and usually a CAR-15 (or one of it's successors) with all the trimmings. The caption went along the lines of "...Gee Sarge, look at all this neat ULTRA-LIGHT weight gear I picked up at (take your pick) Ranger Joes/US Cav Store/GEN Jackson's!!". What's even funnier, is you saw this kind of stuff fairly often with new officers and NCOs.

Anybody else remember the one from Stars and Stripes, I think it was a Bill Mauldin cartoon that had Willie and Joe humping ruck in the ETO? The caption had something about one of them throwing away the jokers from their deck of cards because they were too heavy. I'd just like to see some of these guys have to go 20 or 30 miles on foot carrying a gun rigged like that. I'm of the opinion that the configuration would undergo some radical changes when they got back.

Even the standard M-16, with no ammo, got heavy after humping it around for days on end. Radical alterations indeed!

SOF did an article several years ago titled something like, "Nades and Knives" that featured an overly geared character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back