Supressor, noise AND flash?

dahermit

There seems to be a lot of interest in suppressors these days, which made me wonder...do suppressors on rifles eliminate the muzzle flash as well as reducing the report? I can see how there would be a tactical advantage in low-light if there was no flash.

Flash is simply the visual presentation of BANG, so yes the flash is also reduced/eliminated.
One of the reasons "operators" use them is so the NV doesn't get "flashy":eek:

Depending on cartridge used, i still get a small orange puff in extreamly dark conditions with my rifle can.

My full size pistol can shooting 9mm subsonic ammo has no flash. My "mini" pistol can has some flash with the same ammo (but its 1/2 the size of a normal can)

I have the same experience as Sharkbite. Also, the flash on my rifle silencers is a lot bigger on the first shot. After that, it's not too bad.

Some rifle silencers -- like the Surefire SOCOM -- are supposed to virtually eliminate this first-round flash, but I've never tested one in the dark myself. Other silencers like the SilencerCo Saker offer removable endcaps, and one of the replacement options for that can is a flash hider endcap.

Since my Saker 5.56 does have some flash, I think I'm going to get that flash hider endcap. I mainly think it looks cool, but I wouldn't buy it if it was just for looks and didn't perform any function.

"...Flash is simply the visual presentation of BANG..." The flash is the burning powder. The bang is the air coming back after being pushed out by the expanding gasses and the passage of the bullet. A suppressor acts and is constructed just like a car muffler. Has chambers to spread the flash and bang out.
"...still get a small orange puff..." Burning stuff tends to give off light.

The flash is the burning powder. The bang is the air coming back after being pushed out by the expanding gasses and the passage of the bullet.
So please explain how a suppressor stops the "the air coming back after being pushed out" as that happens externally.:confused:

I was always told the suppressor "cooled & reduced the pressure of the propellant gasses before they exited".

Back