Suppressor troubles?

JohnQuixote

Inactive
Greetings guys,

I've purchased (but not yet taken possession of) an LCM? .22 suppressor. I'm allowed to fire it at the gun shop/range where I purchased it, but not take it home yet.

Yesterday I was there firing it for the first time, and found that on my Walther p22 the rounds were about 5 inches to the left of the aiming point at 5 yards. Another thing I began to see is that I would get rounds that would hit sideways (what is the term for this?).

5" off at 5 yards was concerning, but the occasional sideways round was alarming.

How would go about trouble shooting this? And what should I be looking for to correct this?

Thanks!

JohnQuixote

The term for the sideways hits is "key holing". It happens mostly from contact of the bullet with the suppressor. Several things could be causing the bullet strikes. You might need to tighten down the suppressor so it's snug on the gun(screw on types can back off during firing so keep an eye on it between mags). Another cause could be the can itself is not fully aligned or possibly just SUPER dirty. And lastly some sort of misalignment in the gun,adapter,suppressor thread alignment. Talk to your dealer and he/she should be able to get it fixed easily enough. My bet would be that the adaper threads are the issue as I have seen that come up on many of the internet boards.

suppressor

screw on suppressors usually alter the bullet projectory, usually the left upper or lower quadrants. a dedicated suppressor can be sighted in, but if the bullets have hit the baffles you have already damaged the suppressor.
It is a problem keeping them screwed on tight,you need to check frequently.

Another possibility is that the adaptor on the P22 has been overtightened.

None of us like to have our suppressors work loose, but the P22 has a very thin bbl, threaded at the end, with an oversleeve, which has a notch at the 6 o'clock position in the rear, this sleeve is held in place by the tension between the muzzle nut or the adaptor which replaces the muzzle nut to allow the attachment of a suppressor.

I've seen folks a bit overzealous who crank down on that adaptor hard enough to change the POI of the P22.

D.

Is it common to get keyhole rounds when using a suppressor?

What should I look for as far as damage goes on a suppressor that gives me as many as 1 in 6 keyholed rounds?

Not common

Not common but happens sometimes when the tolerances stack up with low bidder componants.

Send the package off to an experienced gunsmith to find out where the problem is.

Back