Suppressor Cleaning

VUPDblue

Anyone use anything other than WD-40 to clean a suppressor that is not able to be disassembled? I have had good luck with WD but there has to be something that is more effective. Hoppes #9 maybe?

once about every 5,000-10,000 rds. is recommended to get the built-up lead out, or eventually the suppressor will become non-functional from being clogged up--it's why i bought a tac67 with the removable end-caps, i just removed it after the first 1,500 rds. to check and the build-up was impressive--the baffles had to be hammered out with a wooden dowel to break them free from the crud, i think i won't be waiting for 5,000 rds.--as far as one that can't be disassembled you need to soak it in something that dissolves lead fouling but of course not your suppressor materials, someone else may know for sure

I don't know what suppressor you have, but generally, you don't need to clean them at all.
Recommend using an ultrasonic cleaner
The suppressor in question here is a Gemtech Outback II. Gemtech reccommends cleaning after every 500 rounds or so. I have been cleaning after 500-1000 and it obviously needs it each time. Gemtech also advises against an ultrasonic cleaner as it will void their warranty. Water based chemicals are out as they ruin aluminum. Gemtech also suggests a mix of mineral spirits and Automatic Transmission Fluid (3:1) but this seems a little messy to me. I tried contacting them via email, but those went unanswered, that is why I have posted the question here. I just wanted to know what other suppressor owners use.

Spray brake parts cleaner is very good at breaking down firing residue. If you get a gallon can of carburetor cleaner, and soak it for an hour or so, then blow it out with the brake parts cleaner, it should be as clean as you can get it.
Bill

sounds like you may be on to something with that. I will have to give it a try. Have to go out and put 500 through it first though, dammit...:D

VUPDBlue

I'd look for non-chlorinated brake or carb cleaner. I'm no chemist, but I've heard the chlorinated types can damage aluminum over time. I do use the stuff and it does work well, but I never use it on anything aluminum. Probably the best thing to do, however, is call Gem-Tech and speak directly to Doc Dater or Kel to get their advice on the best types of cleaning fluid for that Outback.

Thanks,

I finally got a response from Doc about cleaning. He assured me that the WD or the Mineral Spirits and ATF are the best cleaning agents. Since they state this in the manual, I thought I would just venture out and see if anyone had any 'secret recipes'. I'll probably just stick to the WD.

Back