Suppressor and accuracy

Signal-0

Tried some limited shooting this weekend. Using two AR15 builds, both with BHW barrels, one 18" the other 20".

Tried my new suppressors, a .30 Cal YHM LTA and a 5.56 Phantom M2.

Using hand loads with 52gr SMK's and Nosler 77gr CC's, I got good results initially BUT noticed with the suppressors, the groups were noticeably better.

I did not get to shoot enough to really verify and get SOLID data, just too darn hot, but out of the eight or so groups fired, about six showed a distinct improvement when shooting suppressed.

POI for suppressed was about 1 to 1.5" low and no change L/R.

Anyone else get noticeably better results shooting suppressed?

Sure. Shooting suppresed changes several things. It significantly reduces recoil. While a 223 doesnt have much, it still reduces it. It also will change barrel harmonics. This could be good or bad, but in your case it was good. Since it reduces the muzzle sound, it reduces the bodys flinch to that sound. Between reducing sound and recoil, there is less anticipation for the shooter.
I understand some matches wont allow suppressor use, gives an advantage.

I've read that some shooters get improved accuracy when suppressed but I haven't seen a big enough difference to make a personal judgement. With a higher recoiling rifle there might be some significant changes but with a .223 it's just not noticeable.

My 45-70 Govt seems to get better groups suppressed. My 22LR does not seem effected by it other than the groups are about 3/4 inch lower at 50 yards with the suppressor.

as it happens I did some with and without shooting yesterday to determine if my new can would affect my existing loads.

They did and for the better. I did notice that my groups actually hit a little to the right of unsuppressed and a little lower, the latter being less of a surprise.

Now that I have it, I am going to tailor all my existing loads to suppressed shooting. It makes life easier on the shoulder and the ears, so I see no reason not to use it exclusively.

The only exception is it is forbidden by law in hunting so my hunting load stays as is, but then I have yet to get my hunting licence!

I agree James... I'm going to leave these suppressors on the rifles for perhaps 95% of the time so I too will tailor my loads and zero for suppressed shooting.

I agree James... I'm going to leave these suppressors on the rifles for perhaps 95% of the time so I too will tailor my loads and zero for suppressed shooting.

If I could I would shoot every thing suppressed. To bad suppressing a Revolver does not work. I still want to buy a Salvo 12 so I can shoot shotgun suppressed. Recently got my wife's 17HMR Threaded. It shoot very well with my Element 2. Still get a supersonic crack but it is quieter.

Back