Suppressed 50 BMG

ADIDAS69

Thoughts from anyone with experience. I’m looking to suppress my 50 BMG. Does recoils dramatically increase? The only BMG suppressor with an intigrated brake is the Barrett. Should I save up for the Barrett or go with any of the other options?

While I have no experience with suppressed .50’s, I own a couple suppressors, and have shot quite a few cartridges through them, and suppressed rifles of family members.

In addition to quieting the report, they also reduce recoil. Shooting my Model 70 in .270 Win. with the can on, reduces the recoil to a level that feels like shooting my bolt action .223. All my rifles have reduced felt recoil with the can on, an added benefit for shooting some of the larger stuff suppressed.

I have no experience with .50 Cals and suppressors, my suppressor only handles up to .30 Calibers and the largest I use it with is a .308 Win so far. Recoil has been negligible and I can spot impacts through the scope with my suppressor attached. I know that reall doesn't answer your question, I've always been under the impression suppressor reduce felt recoil because they slow down and dissipate the hot gasses escaping the muzzle.

A guy you might want to message directly is Zak Smith. Zak is an owner in Thunder Beast Arms and the suppressors they build are highly regarded as some of the best you can buy. He should be able to put some numbers to what your asking.

Thoughts from anyone with experience. I’m looking to suppress my 50 BMG. Does recoils dramatically increase? The only BMG suppressor with an intigrated brake is the Barrett. Should I save up for the Barrett or go with any of the other options?
I have not shot a 50 without a brake. Suppressors are efficient at muffling sound. Recoil reduction is a negligible side effect, but nothing like a brake will accomplish. I would not be the guinea pig on a 50 with no brake, suppressed or not.

[visualizing a suppressor the size of a 5-gallon bucket, that renders the BMG only slightly louder than a bare .308...]

I've always been under the impression suppressor reduce felt recoil because they slow down and dissipate the hot gasses escaping the muzzle.

Slowing the exit of powder gas will slightly reduce the "push" against the muzzle when the gas exits. However I think this effect is insignificant from the perspective of felt recoil.

I think the reduced recoil you're feeling is due to the fact that you've added weight to the rifle.

What does a "regular" suppressor weigh??

Can't help with a .50 suppressor, sorry.

Got to thinking, and can't figure out how a suppressor WITH a muzzle brake could work. Seems like they work at cross purposes, and having both would reduce the efficiency of both. Is that the point? TO get some of the benefits of both, instead of the full benefit of either??

44 AMP said:
Slowing the exit of powder gas will slightly reduce the "push" against the muzzle when the gas exits. However I think this effect is insignificant from the perspective of felt recoil.

I imagine the baffles inside a suppressor work much the same as a muzzle brake.

44 AMP said:
I think the reduced recoil you're feeling is due to the fact that you've added weight to the rifle.

What does a "regular" suppressor weigh??

I use an Omega 300 suppressor and it weighs 14 ounces, some are lighter and heavier but most are under 1lb for a .30 caliber and smaller suppressor. A lot depends on the materials
used obviously stainless steel is heavier than Titanium. For refrence the TBAC Ultra 7 suppressor is 10 ounces for the direct thread model and the suppressor the OP is asking about is almost 5 lbs.

Back