Supported Chambers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Meyering

I've heard a lot about the unsupported chambers on my Glock 19, meaning I suppose that the cartridge isn't fully enclosed when in battery... I believe that this is also the case with 1911 pistols.

Can anyone tell me which populer handguns feature fully supported chambers, and whether this is a great advantage? So far I haven't had any problems with even hot Corbons in my Glock, but I don't want a disaster the next time I bring the +P or +P+ to the range.

Thanks!

Ryan

------------------
Romans 6:23

This should probably be in the Handguns forum, but I want to post to it anyway.

I am also interested in learning where this information can be found. I am looking for a .40 S&W Ruger and am interested to find out if it has a fully supported chamber before I buy.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

I don't think that there have been any reported Kb's with a 9mm Glock. If you're shooting ANY factory load, you're fine. Almost all of the Glock Kb's have been with reloaded .40's.

I blew up my G21, but it was with reloaded .400 Cor-Bon, when the G21 and I suffereda bulet setback. Now that I've figured out the correct magazines to use with .400 Cor-bon, cannelure my bullets, etc., I don't anticipate further unwanted explosions.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

This is a new urban legend.
If you use good factory ammo and clean your gun once in awhile, you won't have any problems.
If you use questionable reloads and a very dirty piece, things happen.
Why are all the government agencies buying Glock 40s? If there was any problem, believe me they wouldn't.

The problem comes from reusing brass that has been fired in unsupported chambers.

If you look at your fired brass you'll see a half moon shaped bulg on one side near the bottom of the casing.

When this brass is reloaded and resized, that area becomes worked harded. If it happens to end up in the unsupported area again, then area is worked harded even more.
After a while it becomes less elastic and may burst.

Good idea is to not reload brass fired from the glock more than once.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

Glocks blow up more often than you guys think, clean or dirty.
9mm too.
Just ask Gil Angelotti, former competitive shooter for Glock's factory team.
Ask him how much reconstructive surgery he had to have done on his face before he could pass for normal after one of his factory supplied glocks blew up in his face. Yes, he was shooting factory ammo.
Ask him what Glock did about it. They swept it under the rug. They wouldn't even pay for his medical bills.
Even if they were decent pistols, I'd refuse to buy them on those grounds alone.
BTW: Anybody that thinks that because the Govt. buys it, it must be good needs to get their head examined.

This doesn't really fir the unsupported chamber thread, but it does address another topic here. In response to the Gov't agencies buying Glock .40's.

"Never forget that the equipment you are using was supplied by the lowest bidder."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back