Supersonic 9mm 147gr...

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
So in 9mm, some dig fast bullets and some dig heavy bullets. Has anyone tried seeing what kind of velocities .355" 147gr bullets such as Winchester's SXT or the heavy Hydrashok could attain from a .357SIG and how the bullets would perform in penetration and expansion?

If not, why not?

Ah...

... didn't think about the bottleneck. Thanks WESHOOT2.

All your answers are factory answers? ;)

Huzzah.

Now, has anyone assaulted a jell-o block with the stuff? Decently clothed and/or nekkid? (the jell-o, not the shooter) :)

I brought it up in an old Glock Talk thread and somebody -- I think .355Sigfan -- said that the 147gr XTP in .357 Sig actually penetrated LESS than the 125gr Gold Dot in .357 Sig, though I don't know where he got the results. The whole point of XTPs is that they hold together well, but maybe a 147gr 9mm bullet designed to hold together at ~900 FPS starts to break apart once you hit 1200+ ?

C.B.

Well. Has anyone thought about using a 90grn slug with the .357sig case? Corbon uses this slug for one of their mighty +P loads. What does The Council say?

Christopher II, sorry to disappoint you but IIRC the speed of sound is 1129fps so that Georgia Arms ammo is still sub-sonic.

CastleBravo, i think your right on this. a 147gr 9mm bullet is designed to expand and penetrate a good amount at the speed it was designed to go (900-1000fps usually). if you push it faster the JHP will open up sooner and penetrate less (maybe even fragment some). also .357sig JHP bullets are designed differently than 9mm JHPs. i believe they have a smaller hollow point cavity or something like that so they will expand slower so they penetrate enough. thats why even a lighter .357sig round will penetrate more than a heavy 9mm loaded in .357sig. a 9mm 147gr Gold-Dot bullet might do better than a XTP since it's jacket is bonded to it's core and it won't fragment but it'll still probably penetrate less than a 125gr .357sig.

NSWDEVGRP(ST-6) issued 147 grain Hornady XTP's loaded to +P+ levels, which did nothing but overpenetrate to the extreme, and cause weapon failures ala M9 fiasco. I've tested the Georgia Arms load mentioned above and it penetrates 16 inches of gelatin and expands to around .50 caliber. The Gold Dot and XTP bullets hold together too long. These bullets were intended to be loaded to standard velocities. Regards, Clayton

Back