SUPER URGENT! M1 Garand Help!

Venom1956

Today I found a M1 Garand, used, at a sporting goods store for $600. The receiver looks to be good, as far as I could tell by just looking at it, the barrel looks OK not the greatest. Stock seems to be mismatched and the top rattles somewhat.

I was kind of in shock when I saw it on the rack, so I really didn't get to look for a manufacturer's stamps and such, are there any cheap knockoffs or poor quality replicas I should lookout for?

I wish I had a picture but I didn't have my phone or anything. Sorry for the vagueness, if nessesary I could drive back (20min) and look it over better or possibly put it on hold.

This would be a gift for my father, he has wanted one since his father lost it in a house fire, thanks everyone for any help!

I bought Garand about a year ago for $600 and it has been great. So I would definitely say it is not a "to good to be true" deal. My Dad loves to shoot it too.

I don't think I'd buy a Garand off of a typical used gun rack without a set of go/no-go gauges.

$600 is pretty low. They sell in FTF transfers at gun shows for close to a thousand dollars. New springer Garands command less demand than a used WWII veteran Garand, and they run around $1000. I would take it for granted that any $600 Garand needs "something" done to it to render it safe to shoot. At a minimum, if you buy it, have a smith check its headspace and locking lugs. Expect a few inconvenient problems from the internal magazine system and some light parts replacement. Have the op-rod tab measured for minimum size.

+1 to CMP, but there are hidden costs involved.

$50 - $100 for the dues for a shooting event to participate in.
$20 or so for an annual membership to an eligible club.
$40 shipping of the rifle.

That $600 CMP Garand ends up costing about $750. And all the time to be eligible to purchase it.

But, the CMP Garand will at least be "safe" to shoot, having its headspace checked and gone over at least somewhat for safety's sake.

Yes, make sure the serial number and a government contractor's name* is on the top of the receiver heel. Also look carefully at the sides of the receiver for anything that looks like deep pitting or uneven machining, usually a sign of a receiver that was scrapped, cut in half, then welded back together (a so-called "reweld" or "cut and weld").

*Springfield Armory (no circle R sign), Winchester, H&R, International Harvester

Jim

Yep! condition is everything. Look very carefully and make sure that the tooling and wear marks are consistant from front to back of the receiver with no discoloration, grinding marks or voids in the center.

See if they will let you pop it out of the stock and inspect it underneath. This takes no tools and is quick and easy. Make sure the barrel is not welded to the receiver underneath. Some guns supplied to vets associations had a blank adapter welded onto the end of the barrel, not all though, and the barrels were welded to the receiver. If it is a small weld, a smith can remove that and clean up the barrel and receiver no problem, at added expense, if the weld is pretty substantial, it should be priced like a "display" Garand, as the barrel if worn out cannot be replaced and might not be safe to shoot. Otherwise do like the others say, I would recommend a check of the bore conditions, also the muzzle erosion and throat erosion, but that takes guages also. But if it is for lookin' not so much shootin', some of the requirements can be relaxed a bit. Easier to spot a rewelded cut receiver out of the stock, too. Because they hardly retouch the insides and bottom like they do the welds on the visible areas outside the stock.

Once you qualify with CMP, you are good for 8 rifles a year for three years.
I was already a member of an affiliated club. My friend, the president of the club was happy to sign the marksmanship activity form, so no cost there, and I live about 40 minutes from North Store, so no shipping, and I can pick it out myself. CMP is the best deal going.

+1 to CMP, but there are hidden costs involved.

$50 - $100 for the dues for a shooting event to participate in.

Where I live a CMP Match is $20.00 including ammo and a M-1 if you don't have one. I don't care who you are that right there is cheap fun for a day and then hanging out with like thinking people. The most expensive match fees I have ever paid is $50.00 but it also included a BBQ after the match. So far the BBQ has been worth it, the match was just a added +.

$20 or so for an annual membership to an eligible club.

Should belong to your State Rifle/Pistol Asso anyways.

$40 shipping of the rifle.

Might check the figures again.

That $600 CMP Garand ends up costing about $750. And all the time to be eligible to purchase it.

Yeah sure, your now good for 3 years as long as you keep your club membship up. If you are a member of the military or LE your club requirements are met. You can purchase other rifles with little work. The last M-1 I purchased was a HRA correct grade with a nice stock and a "LMR" barrel with little use. It cost almost a $1000.00. But according to someone in the know it's worth $2500.00. A pretty good return if you ask me. In fact, every M-1 I've bought from the CMP is worth more than what I paid. Not only in $ but in history. If only they could talk.

But, the CMP Garand will at least be "safe" to shoot, having its headspace checked and gone over at least somewhat for safety's sake.

Not only that but they ARE the real deal.

Last edited:
www.odcmp.com
Go here and check them out.
Yes there are two thing to be aware of when buying a M1 rifle. The demiled or re-welds are the biggest risk. Century made are the next. Century have a cast, sometimes poorly, with GI parts. And of course there is the Springfield Incorporated, but you won't be getting one of them for $600 unless it flat out doesn't work.
A set of gauges or a trip to a gunsmith before buying is a good thing too.
The CMP was selling their Greek returns for $295 a few years ago and a lot of them were rough looking but mechanically sound with good barrels. The CMP stopped selling them so cheap when they saw too many posts on sites like this about what a great deal they were.:eek:

Decisions...

Thanks for the help and information everyone! I called the Sporting Goods store to see what company was stamped on the receiver after I posted while @ work he said it was Springfield Armory. So tomorrow I will have to go look @ it again with my Dad and I will get back to you guys with more info.

Back