Super Redhawk grips

Ben Shepherd

I still have the factory grips on my 44mag. When I shoot a warm load, the recoil pinches the finger right underneath the trigger guard. I would like any ideas on what grips to purchase. I tried pachmar rubber grips they almost tore the hide off my hand, although they didn't pinch my finger. It was purchased for hunting so sometimes my hands may be a little wet, dirty, etc.

Personally I love the Hogue grips on revolvers. On heavy recoiling guns I prefer wood to rubber though for exactly the reason you state - rubber grips your hand and is rough on the skin.

Hogue Grips

Well since no one else wants to give input I'll give the folks at houge a call. I like their grips on my 357 sp101. I was just hoping someone would post with experience with other brands.

Don't forget you posted your question in the middle of a work day. There may be more responses forthcoming this evening.

I can't give any advice 'cause I haven't tried any other grips on my SRH other than the factory grip. It seems to work well for me.

Hogue Monogrips are the best after market grip I've ever used on DA revolvers with the sole exception of the standard Redhawk, they just didn't fit my hand right on a Redhawk. I felt they were great on a Super Redhawk though. I agree with JohnK for the most part about smooth wood being superior to rubber or checkered grips on a heavy recoiler, it doesn't take long for friction to start causing blisters. The Monogrips never felt right to me on any SA revolver.

I have on addendum to my Hogue suggestion, if you don't like the finger grooves, which fit my hand perfectly but may not yours, you can order the wood grips without the finger grooves.

I have tried almost every grip available (standard production and custom) for my Super Redhawk in past 10 years or so but I always came back to the original factory grip. I find that when shooting really hot loads the factory grip feels more comfortable than anything else. However, I have small hand so this may have something to do with it.

Back