Super Blackhawk Pic

whiskey

C12.jpg

This little packer started life as a 7.5" barrel Super Blackhawk. I had the barrel cut to 5.5", installed a Belt Mountain #5 base pin, polished the lockwork, replaced the springs, traded the factory rosewood grips for factory gray laminated grips from the Super Blackhawk Hunter models, and installed a lower, old model rear sight blade. The gun now shoots factory 300gr XTPs very well and I plan to take a hog or deer with it in a couple weeks.

Now what I want to know is...What do you think, Should Ruger make these at the factory or what

Well they do..........almost

I have in my valt (sounds cooler than "security cabinette") a Ruger "Blackhawk" 44 magnum. It comes in Stainless steel 5.5" barrel, fluted cylinder and the factory Super Blackhawk hammer.
this is so close to your gun as to be funny. The base pin is a goood idea I will have to add one to mine. I like the keith #5 pin my self and use wolf springs in most of my Blackhawks and Vaqueros. I tend to go to checkered ivorex grips on most of mine SA revolvers. Just goes to say you have good taste in fine guns!:D

a few differances

Besides the fluted cylinder the 5.5" SBH has the smaller Blackhawk/ Vaquero Grip Frame. I don't really like the square trigger guard on mine, but I do like the larger grip size. I really wish they would make an unfluted, large grip frame, round trigger guard 5.5" SBH. They already make a larger grip witha round trigger guard for the Hunter model.

Whiskey,

It's a peach. As noted, a round trigger guard would be nice. Doesn't Ruger's cataloged 4 5/8" SBH come with a round guard?

Back in 1996 there was a limited run of SBH about yours: stainless, unfluted, adjustable sights, they even had the black/green/gray grip. But with round trigger guard and a 4 5/8" barrel IIRC. They were even marked "Hunter" on the frame and had what looked like a "frosted" finish. One of the gun rags did a write-up but I never saw one after that. Probably a limited run for Davidson's or one of the other large distributors.

Gotta ask: Who bobbed the barrel for ya and what did it cost? I've always thought that 6" would be a perfect length for a 7 1/2" SBH I've got sitting around.

-- Kernel

The 4 5/8" and the 5.5" SBH have round trigger guards, but the grip is smaller than the square back grips.

The "Hunter" model you refer to has a 7.5" barrel and it is ribbed for your pleasure :) and comes with scope mounts. They did a run a good while back and have since recently reintroduced the Hunter model.

whiskey,

Yeah, I'm aware. I've got two 7 1/2" Hunters - an original "First Issue" and one of the new ones. What I'm saying is Ruger made a limited run of 4 5/8" SBHs that were also labeled Hunter. There were no provision for scope mounting. The talk at the time was Ruger was going to come out with a new style Hunter every couple of years - different calibers, grip frames, barrel length, finish, etc. - to peak collector interest. I guess the idea never took off. -- Kernel

barrel chopper

I had a local gunsmith sut and crown and reinstall the front sight for me. He mostly does rifles, but make a few handgun exceptions. I was not 100% satisfied, but real close. The front sight base was put on at the factory very well. It took a little work to get it off and then to clean it up. It came out a few hundreths shorter and then the front sight blade was a little tall to fit flush against the base, as it already had a hole drilled and could not be filled down and redrilled for such a small amount. Thus, my front sight blade sits slightly higher than it should. Most would never notice, but it is a thing to remember next time.

It is an easy fix, just order a new sight blade and file and drill it to fit. I may do that some day, but for now it shoots great and it doesn't bother me enought to fix it.

The whole thing ran 100.00, what I thought was a little high, but I am happy with the cut and crown and base remount. He even tightend the cylinder gap a little when reinstalling the barrel.

Back