Super Blackhawk Hunter or SW 629

SJCbklyn

I never purchased a revolver before but I know I want a .44 mag for hunting deer and eastern black bear ( avg 250 lbs). Choosing the .44 so it can share ammo with my 1894 Marlin. I will see how I shoot with open sights prior to mounting a scope. I know both of these firearms are good choices but looking for some input.

I'd get the Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter model in 44 mag myself. Recoil should be felt a bit less with the single action. Very easy to mount a scope or red dot on the hunter model.

Handgun hunting for deer is generally a one shot affair (perhaps two) and you don't gain anything necessarily with the double action other than it's easier to empty the gun after a day's hunt.

My Super Blackhawk is probably my favorite handgun to shoot. I have a couple of regular Blackhawks and a couple of Single Sixes, too. Compared to my DA revolvers (some of which are very nice) I prefer the plow handle grip shape and the way they handle recoil. I own and have shot some nice S&W revolvers, but I would pick the Super Blackhawk for sure.

I was fortunate enough to find one of the old "three screw" models. It is my most accurate centerfire handgun.

Super20Blackhawk_zps8zdsf02x.jpg

Ruger Hunter! Other than being a fan of SA's and not so much for DA's, it's far less likely you'll use double action in the hunting situation. Besides, carrying a fancy, schmancy double action with a level gun? :rolleyes:

Since they are both large and clunky, might as well have the double action option.
It could be you that's being hunted.
So, I vote for the 29.

I have a Redhawk Hunter, S&W 625MG and Blackhawk Hunter all in 45C and I love them all for what they are. If there is a chance you may be hunted (bear) I would vote for a double action weapon, I don't want to try to cock the hammer on a single action when I'm fighting for my life. It also depends if you are going to run stock ammo or if your going to step up to more +p type ammo, the S&W will run the stock ammo fine but for the higher power ammo I would vote for the Ruger. It also depends on if you plan on mounting an optic or upgrade the grips on your weapon. Check out the Ruger Super Redhawk.

+1 on the Ruger... the Hunter is also available with the Bisley grip that I prefer. Check out Lipsey's, they have quite a catalog of Rugers including their specials. I got my 5 1/2" 44 special from them.

I am a BIG fan of the 629 or 29 and will take it over anyother 44 mag revolver.
So my opinion is biased.

GET THE RUGER

The S&W is a much more refined revolver. They've always had nice triggers and are accurate by most accounts. Many an S&W has passed through my ever evolving gun collection....but.....

I'd say you should choose the Ruger BH hunter. I have one and it is very accurate. A quick spring swap and the trigger can be made quite acceptable. You also get decent scope rings so it's ready for a scope right out of the box.

When shooting revolvers 99% or the time I'll shoot single action....so I am partial towards them. In most hunting situations a single action will work just fine......as a matter of fact if you don't hunt where there are any dangerous critters there's not much need for a double action.

Both are quite capable of the task. Play with a few of 'em and see which one trips your trigger. I personally use a P.C. 629 Magnum Hunter when I hunt with .44.

pr6426a__20743.jpg

I never purchased a revolver before...

Since they are both large and clunky, might as well have the double action option.

Yes, both are big, heavy guns (48oz+/-) Essentially, the 7.5" Ruger weighs the same as the 6.5" S&W, there will be minor weight variances between individual guns, primarily from small variances in the density of the wood grips.

If there is a chance you may be hunted (bear) I would vote for a double action weapon, I don't want to try to cock the hammer on a single action when I'm fighting for my life.

There is this, but it only really applies if you and the bear get belly to belly close.

It also depends if you are going to run stock ammo or if your going to step up to more +p type ammo,

Recognized +p ammo in .44 Magnum does not exist. There is no SAAMI spec for +p in the .44 Magnum. There is only ammo that is within SAAMI spec (pressure) and ammo that is outside SAAMI specs. Outside of SAAMI spec ammo can be called anything the maker wants to call it. It an range from "just a little warmer than factory" to "wreck your gun stupid HOT!!"

It all depends on the maker, and how much you trust them. Hot stuff from the smaller "boutique" ammo makers will tell you what guns you can use it in, and what you should NOT.

Ammo in a baggie, bought at a gun show, loaded by Mr Nobodyhasacluewho, is always a risk, no matter how good the price.

I have a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk, a 6.5" S&W m29-2, a 6" Desert Eagle, and a 10" T/C Contender. And over 30 years experience shooting them. (ok, only 26years for the Desert Eagle .44..;))

The OP said "I've never purchased a revolver before". So I would assume he is not a skilled DA shot. He also said he has a .44 Mag Marlin, so he knows about the recoil of the round, in a rifle.

In a handgun, its a much different matter. Grip shape is the other important difference between the SA and the DA revolver. At .44 mag recoil levels, it makes a HUGE difference, especially to a new 44 pistol shooter. And, it's a completely PERSONAL decision which type feels better.

The classic "plow handle" SA grip is designed to allow the gun to roll up in the hand during recoil. The DA revolver grip shape is designed to prevent that. That means nearly ALL the force of the recoil is sent straight back into your palm and arm. Less muzzle flip, more jolt to the hand.

For me, the S&W with stock wood grips is painful to shoot with full power .44 Mag loads. Literally, it hurts. I have Pachmayr grips on both my S&W and my Ruger. Again, for me, they turn full house loads from painful to uncomfortable (S&W) and from uncomfortable to stout, but tolerable (Ruger).

I think that how the gun feels in the hand, and how it bites, or doesn't during recoil is more important to a beginning .44 shooter than DA or SA firing.

Just FYI, the most mellow recoiling .44 Mag I know is the Desert Eagle, because the huge pistol weighs so much (4.25lbs EMPTY).

The sharpest is the Contender, because even with a 10" barrel, it's still lighter than a 6" revolver. First time I ever fired mine, the barrel flipped up so much I said a bad word, out loud (rather loudly :o,). at the range. For pure "visciousness", I got to shoot a friend's Lew Horton Special (S&W M29 short barrel (2.5?) round butt). It had Pachmayr grips.

With his pet loads, it wasn't bad. With a full house 240gr handload, it not only kicked like a mule on sterioids but it twisted in the hand until it was "gangsta" sideways! (serious TORQUE!!)

Considering your (assumed) experience level, and the fact that you are going to be hunting (which is quite different from defending yourself) I would go with the Ruger SA, in your preferred barrel length.

I would also recommend some .44 Special ammo, and some .44 Mag loads that are lighter than the hot 240gr jacketed stuff and work your way up to the max loads. Silvertips are nice step on the way up.

IF at all possible, SHOOT both type of guns before you buy. Range rental, friends gun, stand around the range looking wistful, offer to pay for the ammo, whatever it takes, if possible.

The difference in the feel of the SA and the DA at .44 mag recoil levels is tremendous, Some folks are ok with either, some find the cannot stand one of them, so, getting at least a little shooting experience with them might keep you from sending several hundred dollars down the wrong road.

Good Luck, and let us know what you decide!

With his pet loads, it wasn't bad. With a full house 240gr handload, it not only kicked like a mule on sterioids but it twisted in the hand until it was "gangsta" sideways! (serious TORQUE!!)
Truer words were never spoken.
With target 44 SP even Hillary would enjoy shooting this thing.
But with full house, read above.

Attachments

• TORQUE.jpg
    TORQUE.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 81
Get the Super Blackhawk for hunting. Also think about ammo you will practice with to become proficient. A well aimed kill shot with normal 44 mag ammo is better than a miss or a wounding shot with super megamax ammo.

SA or DA

Have both handguns you mention.

Determine which style feels "right" in your hand.

Shoot both, if possible, with the exact ammo you will be using for your hunt.

Which do you shoot better?

I will tell you that 15 years ago hog hunting, a my poorly placed rifle shot and my foolishly leaning my rifle against a tree left me facing a very pissed off hog pawing the ground. The double action revolver was quick to put 5 rounds into the hog.

I vote for the S&W 629. The trigger on the Smith is light years better than the Ruger, especially in single action mode. The S&W will always be worth more than the Ruger, should you ever decide to sell. Just my $0.02.

I've been lusting after this one for a dedicated hunting rig for quite some time now.... Careful not to drool on your keyboard... ;)
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-629-stealth-hunter

I currently own a 629 Classic with 6.5" bll. I worry not one little bit about using full power 44mag loads. But I don't exceed published maximum charges when I reload either. Wander beyond known max charges and you stand to prematurely wear and/or damage ANY firearm...

especially in single action mode.

I'd agree with that, especially...since the Ruger in question is SA only...
;)

Individual guns can vary, but I've had over a dozen Ruger SAs and half a dozen S&W (N frames) and some others and as a general rule, I've found that, "out of the box" the S&W SA trigger is sweet, and has no decernable creep. Rugers have some creep, and while the trigger pull is fair to good, it can be improved.

I used to do the full workup & polish of the Ruger insides, but no longer bother, as usually the "poor boy trigger job" produces a pull acceptable to me.

My Super Blackhawk was a bit 'off putting" to me, the first few times I shot it, 30+ years shooting a .45 Colt Blackhawk gave me a certain expected "feel" and the Super B, while the same size, had a slightly different feel. It wasn't the slight difference in weight, nor even the slightly different hammer spur, what put me off, a little, at first, was the grooved trigger.

I got over it quickly, of course, but for a little while, my mind was expecting the smooth Blackhawk trigger, and the grooved Super trigger just felt "wrong".

In over 45 years of handgun shooting, I've never opened up the inside of any S&W to work on the trigger pull, and never needed to.

"...share ammo with my 1894 Marlin..." Highly unlikely to give you the same accuracy out of both with the same ammo, but try it anyway.
Go try both revolvers on for size. A handgun must fit your hand properly in order to shoot it well enough, especially for hunting.
Look at a SuperRedhawk too. Same grip size as a GP-100. Still a great big SOB of a revolver though.
Any of 'em will require a trigger job out of the box as well.

Back