Super Blackhawk front sight fell off

Banzai

I recently purchased a Ruger Super Black hawk second hand from an older gentleman. It didn't have the front sight. A quick call to Ruger, and they sent me a replacement for free!!
It quite obviously gets silver soldered on. My question is, how much should I expect to pay to get this done? Will it damage the original blueing, necessitating refinishing?
I've been quoted from $20 to $75 from 3 different gunsmiths in my area. HELP!!! All have said that they will silver solder it back on, but only one of them said that it would need refinishing, one said not, and the other said "HUH?".

HELP!!

Thanks,

Tom

Send it back to Ruger

Send it back to Ruger. I bet they'll install the new front sight for free, probably refinish/reblue the gun for you too. I bought a used Super Blackhawk with a messed up trigger pull and cockeyed transfer bar. It seems a previous owner did a little kitchen table gunsmithing on it. I sent it back to Ruger. They replaced the trigger, hammer, transfer bar, springs, etc., did a real nice trigger job, and installed a new rear sight. All for free. Pretty good service for a used gun and I know I was at least the third owner. -- Kernel

Kernel is probably right about Ruger doing it for free. But UPS is expensive (since it must be overnight before they will ship) and it may be cheaper to have a local smith do it. Silver soldering isn't difficult to do at all, but must be carefully done lest you have an offset sight.

I second the idea of sending it back. Ruger is great about their service.
If you still want to try it, read on. There should be a small shallow hole (detent) on the barrel to receive a small stud on the bottom of the sight. That is if Ruger hasn't changed their method of locating front sights on blackhawks. I have successfully used Brownells Hi Force 44 solder to re-attach front sights after shortening barrels. With solder talc and a little patience, reblue was not needed. 44 mag with hot loads have not removed it in 10 years and couple thousand rounds.

If you ship your gun to Ruger remove the cylinder so it can be shipped as gun parts instead of a firearm you get a better ship rate that way.

If you don't ship the cylinder, how will Ruger test fire it under the same conditions you will have? Besides, the frame is (legally) the firearm, so removing the cylinder will not make the revolver a "part".

Jim

Find friendly FFL holder. Can send it U.S. mail FFL to FFL.

Use priority mail and insure for full value.

Sam

I suggest you contact a certain Moderator who hangs out here and ask him!

I sent a barrel to George and he shortened and re-set the sight and I swear it looks like a factory made barrel. George can set you straight on this one! E-mail him directly and ask!

Shipping with cylinder removed.

If you remove the cylinder UPS does not consider it a "functional" firearm and it does not need to be sent next day rates. This is according to their fact sheet they sent me after I called about the change. As long as the part(s) that are removed prevent the ability to fire the firearm. So if you removed just the grips that would not count; but, as was pointed out Ruger would probably require the firing to meet their quality of work standards.

Back