Sunday, with cast.....

Beagle333

Today I whipped out my new (to me) Lee 309-150 F 2-cav and dropped a few bullets. I was pretty apprehensive about the whole thing. It was my first time using a Lee, and this one was kinda pitiful looking. Besides being skinned up, blackened from smoke, and having lots of extra lead smeared all over it, the thing was very light and flimsy, and had a skinny little sprue plate, and didn't want to close squarely unless I set it on the table and slid it closed that way, but I heated it up on the hot plate real well, and from the first pour to the last - I had no culls and the bullets just fell like rain from that little mold. I was really impressed! I just bought it on a whim when I saw it on the swappin page for $15 shipped, and I figgered I would just play with it a bit... but now I'm going to go take a look at what other 309's that Lee has to offer. This one would make a pile of lead really quickly!
I was using 70/30 pure/WW with 1% tin on this one. I made them deliberately soft, because I want to see how soft I can shoot in my .30-30 when they are powdercoated.
These dropped at .311 with a .301 nose on em. I didn't expect that from a mold named 309-150F.... but that's almost perfect for size. :D
PC009_zps554ed839.jpg

It does make a pretty little boolit. I think it'll be fun in the .30-30 as a plinker.
I just grabbed one out of the pile and shot a pic of it, and after seeing it enlarged, I should have selected a better looking one, knowing the discriminating eye of some of our readers. :p

PC017_zpsbd517e00.jpg

And...... I pan lubed a bunch of the collarbuttons for the .45-70 while I was enjoying my day. This is 70/30 beeswax/crisco, with half a red crayon in it.
I normally use beeswax/olive oil for my homemade lube, but I had 2 gallons of Crisco that I wanted to use up.
PC003_zpscdb3114d.jpg

PC005_zpsf18935cd.jpg

And, I made a big pile of the 358432 TurtleBusters from the soft alloy while I had the pot going. They will be fun for jug tests later.:)

And...... I pan lubed a bunch of the collarbuttons for the .45-70

Ohhh ain't those the cutest things you ever saw....:D:D

Man, you are look'en like a Pro.:D

Yep he seems to have it down pretty darned well don't he.

He's almost getting them as pretty as me....;)

Thing is, all we see is all these nice pretty ones, wheres the beat up, wrinkled and mashed up ones he shoots???:eek:

Sorry but it had to be said, even if it was ME that said it,

who's your pal, duckin and runnin, well walkin briskly, my knees are past the point of runnin

358432 HPs, cast in 75% pure/25%WW,..... and powdercoated with turtlebuster green.
Ready to load. No lube required!
:D
PC013_zps08b6ade4.jpg

Last edited:
Back