Summary of India's Firearms Laws

anand

A BRIEF SUMMARY OF FIREARM LAWS IN INDIA

1.A citizen is allowed upto three firearms or less on a license, renewable every three years after the initial one year probationary period.

2.No more than 100 rounds of ammunition can be purchsed in any calender year for self defense,& No more than 50 rounds can be possessed at one time with regard to handguns and Rifles.

3.For Shotguns the limit is 450 rounds per year and 100 at one time.

4.One cannot own more than one firearm of the same type.(No two revolvers etc.)
5.Non-prohibited calibers include,.380 .32,
.30luger,.25Auto,.22. Of these only .32 S&W short & Long, and .22LR are made in India.

6.Prohibited calibers include all military calibers and licensing is avilable from the Ministry of Home Affairs.

7.No provision for Full-Auto.(Illegal)

8.Weapons cannot be carried into Religious
gatherings, fairs or into the Assembly Hall or Secratariat(akin to State Capitol) or Airports.
8. During election time all weapons are to be deposited at the police station having jurisdiction over one's residence.

9.Importation of weapons & ammunition has been banned since 1984. Only legal method of importation is on a transfer of residence back to India, following a two year stay abroad, and owning the weapon for at least one year prior to importation.(Imported weapons may not be transfered to others during the importers lifetime.)

10.All firearms & ammo may be purchsed only after a license has been issued. The weapon has to be inspected by the Deputy Commissioner of Police(DCP) and entered into the License.Any purchse of ammo will be entered into the License by the Seller.

11. All weapon transfers need authorization from the DCP.

12.There are two types of licenses:
a.State License issued by the Commissioner of Police valid only in the state of issuance
b.All India License (which is a state license converted to All India coverage by the Home Secretary)
These can be again categorized into:
a.Non-prohibited class(Issued by the state)
b.Prohibited class(Issued by Ministry of Home Affairs)

13.Criminal Background check is compulsory.
Income per year has to be noted on the application and an Inspector of Police will perform an interview.

Comments:
1.State Licenses for non prohibited guns are extremely difficult to obtain and only people with a lot of influence or money, or buddies of the commissioner can get one.Licenses for prohibited weapons are even harder to get.
2. Since only 12 gauge and .32 S&W Long & Short and .22LR are made in India it would be logical to buy one of these calibers.

I am very interested in Australian and Philipino Firearms laws, if any of the TFL members can post them on this string I will be grateful.
Anand.

Thanks for a very interesting post, anand, I've cut and pasted it to my "archives".

Under number 1 in your comments: "1. State Licenses for non prohibited guns are extremely difficult to obtain and only people with a lot of influence or money, or buddies of the commissioner can get one. Licenses for prohibited weapons are even harder to get." Even when you're allowed to own guns, it seems licensing always ends up favoring only the self-appointed elite. Ask any CCW applicant in Michigan, Colorado, and other states. A nice example.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

Seems that the Ghandis have yet to reap the benefits of tight gun control laws....Indira got hers with a submachine gun, among other items, and Rajiv got his with a bomb. So much for any actual effect...

Well, you also have to remember the submachine gun that killed Indira was packed by her own bodyguard. Little different than some punk carrying. I lived in India from 92-94 and I'll tell you first hand, though the laws are tough, if you have enough money and guile you can do almost anything.

Thanks Anand, I found this a most interesting and educational read. I am lucky to live in a state founded by many veterans of the American Revolutionary War. The Continental Congress not having enough money decided the best way to pay the veterans was with land in Kentucky. At that time a frontier... So when we became a state, the right to keep and bears arms was also written into our state constitution. Our CCW state laws indicate it is AGAINST THE LAW for a County Sheriff not to give you a CCW permit if you have: Passed a background check(not a criminal),passed a written test (requires a six hour course), passed a gun range test (must be able to show proficiency in shooting and clean the weapon),submitted a current photgraph, and pay the sheriff $60. Thus some feared that one sheriff may give out permits while another would not. The state law indicates it is a privelege granted by the state. If you break a major law your CCW permit will be taken away. Needless to say, folks with CCW permits don't drive drunk, don't get in unnecessary fights, and do anything to jeopardize having the permit taken away. An armed society really is a polite society.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

Back